What to grow against a wall?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by juliang23, Mar 19, 2010.

1. juliang23

juliang23 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have a bare garden, approx 40 feet long which is South facing. Approx half of one side is brick wall (neighbour's garage) and being East facing it gets a good amount of morning sun. As you look down the garden it's on the right hand side.

I'm wondering if anyone has any good tips for a nice plant/tree to grow up this wall. The wall itself is about 15 feet long and it would be nice to try and cover most of it. At ground level is just turf at moment, so I would dig a [raised?] bed for the plant/tree to grow from.

Any ideas welcome! I'm a total novice. I did think of something edible (fruit or veg)? Another person suggested roses. I'm game for anything!

Thanks in advance,
    Julian

2. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you want to put up support.....trellis or wires or other, this will influence your choice. Some things will cling to the wall others will need a support system of some kind.
    With no support...... Ivy (a flowering clematis could be added when the ivy is established, it will grow through the ivy and flower. Boston Ivy or virginia creeper (boston ivy is best) nice foliage, bright red leaves in autumn. Hydrangea peteolaris nice white flowers mid summer. I cant think of an edible self clinging climber (apart from kiwi but probably needs more sun)
    With support Clematis (a huge range availbale most do well on east facining, honeysuckle (graet scent) You could train lots of fuit against a wall but again id worry a bit that east facing wasnt bright enough...maybe some other members could shed some light if they have had sucess on an east wall with fruit.

3. juliang23

juliang23 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for quick reply!
    I can put up support (e.g. trellis) - not a problem at all.
    Clematis sounds good. I wonder what other people think re. fruit

4. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43