what to grow in a second hand polytunnel

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by lazy-gardener, Mar 17, 2008.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Ok so it maybe third hand! Have repaired the seams as best as I can and mended door zip as best as I can as well but its not airflow proof . Will it still be sufficient to grow stuff in such as tomatoes, peppers, strawberries etc? (if its still there after the wind that is!)I was growing to use grow bags this year until I get something more permanent sorted. Also should I have already planted these?

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I think you are about right for planting now until mid April LG. But of course you must plant tomatoes and peppers somewhere warm, for germination. Aim for about 23C but you should be OK at 20. Over a radiator indoors is fine if you haven't got a propagator. Don't transfer to the tunnel until its ambient temperature is at least 13C at night. Obviously warmer during the day.

You do want a little air-flow anyway and unless you have a gale blowing through it, it should be OK. Growbags are fine but you need to water a lot.