What to plant?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sarah Eley, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Sarah Eley

Sarah Eley Gardener

Ratings:
    +19
    Hello GC folk!
    Wanting to pick brains if you don't mind.

I have a corner in the garden that needs filling. My requirements are that its contents would provide winter colour, be hardy and easy to maintain.

The corner is maybe 10ftx10ft (someone work out the hypoteneuse?) And sits between lawn edge, fence and laurel hedge. It is damp and dark.

I'm visualising something like variegated shrubs with an underplanting of hellebores but perhaps you can be more helpful.

With thanks and best wishes.

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,478
    There are lots of knowledgeable people here who can give great advice but it might help them if they knew where you are located. I'm in Canada and probably have different growing limitations to yours and the same for many others here :)

How about updating your profile to include your location please?

3. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Maybe look at the various variegated Hollies and Elaeagnus. Both are evergreen, easy to maintain and pretty trouble free. Not so sure about Hellebore, they like at least some sunshine and pretty good drainage. Perhaps have a look at something like Erythonium which like shade and moist soil as long as it isn't boggy.
    Little difficult to know what to suggest as apart from Laurel I don't know what else you have in your garden You might also think about a Hydrangea maybe, certain ones will tolerate quite deep shade, the lace caps rather than the mop heads are very attractive.

4. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Yes to hellebores Sarah. Go for white flowered varieties......nice doubles and singles available.
    I think variegated shrubs would lose their variegation if too shady. However, Sarcoccoca, sweet box, is evergreen, easy and has white flowers in winter. Not the showiest flowers but powerfully scented. :)
    A red stemmed dogwood too......perfect to offset whites in the winter garden.
    Camellias esp the white flowered forms produce colourful buds and late winter flowers on glossy attractive evergreen foliage.
    Snowdrops as well.
    Carex "grasses" look good in shade......carex elata aurea, testacea and Evergold for example......and Acorus Ogon are evergreen. Ophiopogon nigrescens to contrast with white flowers is evergreen. In damp shade there is no classier plant than hackenochloa....
    Dies down in winter so misses your remit but a glorious grass.
    Yellow heucheras like Citronella would help light up a dark area. Some ferns are evergreen...fascinating plants for shade.
    Ok, not evergreen but astilbes are perfect in moist shade from early spring....most astilbes have glorious copper coloured spring foliage .....leading on to flowers and foliage in summer and autumn

Sorry silu...missed your post there.

• Like Like x 1
    • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
      Ratings:
      +4,304
      How about corylopsis and chimonanthus fragrans?

• Sarah Eley

Sarah Eley Gardener

Ratings:
      +19
      Thanks everyone. Great ideas!

Assumed co.uk was for British gardeners so apols for that. Am in UK.

:)