What to use to protect the inside of a raised bed (part brick part wood)?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Engelbert, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all

I'm in the process of finishing off a triangular raised bed. Two sides of the triangle are brick, and the remaining side will be thick wood.

Would it be a good idea to line the inside face of the bricks so that they are not damaged by the soil resting against them? Or will they be ok left as is?

The wood will definitely need protecting because we are most likely going to use untreated stuff. What can I use to protect the wood? I was thinking of using some of the damp proof plastic rolls you can get, or some pond liner, or some other black plastic. Are there any other options? What would be the most effective and the cheapest?

Many thanks

Max

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Max, the brickwork should be fine. As for the timber, I would give any untreated timber several coats of a water-based preservative.

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,834
    Overtime probably not.:dunno:

I use Visqueen at lot for various purposes including use as a waterproofing membrane on my observatory and various gardening jobs. You can get it at a Builders/Timber Yard and it will last forever and not disintegrate over years. Cheap plastic will not last I'm afraid.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,315
    • Like Like x 1