What tree is this and can I replant it?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Tufty, May 30, 2024.

1. Tufty

Tufty Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all,

I planted this tree 4 years ago:

20240530_141433.jpg 20240530_141443.jpg 20240530_141508.jpg

Does anyone know:
    1) What it is
    2) How high it may grow
    3) Is it too big for me to dig it up and replant it?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    Looks a bit like a goat willow, Salix caprea, I think there might be a few varieties and the male trees can look good in spring, but most of them are weed trees, unless it was specifically purchased.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Tufty

Tufty Gardener

Ratings:
      +7
      Ah, thankyou. I forget where I got it. Im sure it came in a pot from someone.

Ive just googled 'goat willow' and can see it grows to 10 meters! This is certainly not appropriate for where it is. I will move it. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
        Ratings:
        +1,549
        Oh willow, goat willow, goat willow

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Tufty

Tufty Gardener

Ratings:
          +7
          Im thinking of moving into a big container on the patio. Do you think it will probably die if I dig it up? Ill give it a go anyway as its going to have to go from its current spot.

• AnniD

AnniD Gardener

Ratings:
          +512
          They're very tough things, so as you're going to dig it up anyway, go for it.
          If you do decide to replant it in the ground, give it plenty of room (and well away from the house !) :smile:

• Like Like x 1
          • Dovefromabove

Dovefromabove Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,583
            As Goat willow, like all types of willows, needs a lot of water, and grows very big …it really isn’t a suitable tree for a garden and definitely not for a container.

They have fluffy seeds that float on the air like thistledown … they drift into gardens and take root like weeds and become a nuisance as their seeds get everywhere. Most folk pull them up.
            If you live in a rural spot with no neighbours and have several acres of land then by all means grow a couple for their wildlife benefits, but if not then do yourself a favour and get rid of it while it’s a manageable size and isn’t going to cost you a lot of money to have it cut down and taken away. :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
              Ratings:
              +4,485
              It isn't suitable at all for a small space @Tufty . You'd be forever hacking it back to keep it manageable if it liked the spot. If you're in a wet part of the country, it'll just keep growing. Our local moors are covered in them - and the catkins and seedheads are also very,very messy.
              I see you're in east Dartmoor - it may well have seeded in from a nearby source if you're close to moorland.
              I'd agree - better to get it out and away now, and replace it with something more appropriate.

• Tufty

Tufty Gardener

Ratings:
              +7
              Thanks all. I will dispose of it. Especially as its right next to my house.

As a corollary question, Im looking for a tree - preferably evergreen - that grows to about 3 metres thats a good 'shield' from my neighbours property. We have a 6foot height high wooden fence, but Id like to raise the shield by another few feet becuase their windows look into my garden. Ive looked for 'fence toppers', but perhaps a tall evergreen shrub would look better.

I was thinking about transplanting the willow there to help shield, but not now I know what it is! :)

• fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
              Ratings:
              +4,485
              Evergreen trees are quite tricky, but many shrubs can be grown as 'trees', either by pruning to get a tree type habit, or simply allowed to get to their full size. Rhododendrons, for example, if your soil and site would suit [quite likely!] and Camellias and Pieris.
              If you can give an idea of the general aspect of the proposed site, that will also help. Those will manage quite exposed sites, but all prefer semi shade, and even quite shady spots. They can manage sunnier sites as long as it's not full on blazing mid day sun for long periods. Viburnums are another shrub which might work. Many are evergreen.
              You could also go for things like Ilex [holly] which are often a nice pyramidal shape.
              There are lots of other prickly shrubs that are evergreen, but that may not suit you.

• Tufty

Tufty Gardener

Ratings:
              +7
              Thanks so much. Ill go out and take some photos to give you a better idea of the situation.

As it happens I have a camellia thats in a container that Ive been thinking of putting in the ground.

Ill upload photos later.

Thanks!

• Tufty

Tufty Gardener

Ratings:
              +7
              Heres the boundary that Id like a bit more of a shield from. The garden is on a slight slope, hence why the fence is staggered down.

20240531_085653.jpg

The above is looking south. So because of the boundary fence, and the raised car port (which is the adjacent fence/bamboo boundary) it never gets full sun for any prolonged period of the day. As you can see the bed is quite narrow, so the shrub/tree needs to grow 'up' rather than 'up and out' (if that makes sense!). Perhaps you can see that - with me pruning the hazel so it doesnt grown out over the lawn - its almost created a esplanade effect.

At the moment there is a young hazel and ash which does an ok job to shield when in leaf, but ideally Id like evergreen trees/shrubs, and maybe fence toppers also.
              20240531_085724.jpg 20240531_085738.jpg

This is my camellia thats been sat in a tub for a couple of years. Its dont nothing (understandably), but perhaps if I put it in the ground it will grow much bigger.. but probably not much taller than the fence(?)

20240531_085759.jpg

I hope that gives you a better idea of what Im working with. Thanks