What type of lettuce is this?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Tufty, May 30, 2024.

1. Tufty

Tufty Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all,

I was given some lettuce plants a month ago which I planted into containers:

20240530_140727.jpg 20240530_140732.jpg 20240530_140737.jpg

Ive never grown lettuce before, and I dont know what variety this is. Should I wait to see if it is hearting lettuce, or is it ready to eat now? I think the lady said (Ive got no way of contacting her) that its romaine lettuce, but I might be misremembering!

Thanks

2. On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,502
    Don't know the variety but with our lettuces we don't pull up the whole plant we just take some of the outer leaves and then the plant continues to grow. If we find that they are then starting to bolt we will pull the whole plant out taking the leaves for eating.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Emerion

Emerion Gardener

Ratings:
      +67
      Agreed. I carefully snap the leaves downwards, so as to leave no stub on the stem. Always start from the outside, discarding any yellow leaves. If you do this, you always have fresh leaves, and aren’t obliged to eat a whole lettuce in one go, or have it deteriorate in the fridge. Depending on the time of year, they keep producing more leaves from the center for weeks. As @On the Levels said though, they will bolt eventually, more quickly in hot weather. So when it gets hot, put them in the shade, and always keep them well watered.

• Like Like x 1
      • Tufty

Tufty Gardener

Ratings:
        +7
        Im literally sat reading this while munching on my first harvest of lettuce! (with some tuna and mayonnaise). Very nice!

Thanks for the info. The unintended benefit of growing in containers is I can move them when needed. :)

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,291
        Might be worth letting one pot grow on without harvesting so see if it is Romaine.

You may want to look at starting off some pick and come again types such as Salad Bowl and Lollo Rossa.

• Like Like x 1