What use are teabags?!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Julie C, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Julie C

Julie C Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I remember years ago seeing teabags dotted about in my grandparents' garden. I haven't a clue what benefit (if any) they were to the plants and hope someone can enlighten me. I drink quite a few cups of tea a day and would hate to think I was wasting valuable food for my plants, if that is what they were for! Or maybe it is a pest deterrent. Please advise!

2. jimbo1951

jimbo1951 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    teabags are good for the compost bin, also I remember my mum putting tea bags around her roses etc. she also use to put coffe beans on the garden also along with eggshells and any cold ea she always if strong weakend it and fed it to the house plants.

3. crofthouse

crofthouse Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I know coffee grounds are ment to discourage slugs, but not sure about teabags! Ours go on the compost heap, and I know my mum used to empty the tealeaves around azaleas etc. for the acid content.

Anthony

4. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    There's no harm in putting tea leaves on your garden (my grandparents and in-laws used to do it) but I don't think there's much benefit either! Sure, tea bags can go in the compost bin but to what benefit? The tiny fragments of leaf have been boiled to bits and sterilized.

And I know the theory that tea leaves are supposed to help acid loving plants but how much acid do they retain? More important, is tannic acid the right kind of acid? Lemon juice is acidic but would you put it on your rhodos? Vinegar on the heathers, anyone?

Old tea leaves look a bit like peat and that's the real reason folk put them on their gardens, I reckon. I think you'd need lorryloads of them to make any difference.

5. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  6. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Bah, I guess in the compost they do their little thing like all other little things from the kitchen. I put bread crumbles in the composter... not that they do ANYTHING special, but they can as well go there instead of the general rubbish. CanĀ“t think of any specific purpose for tea leaves, but composting them is better then wasting them to the incinerator, imho.

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I think tea does, over a period of time help acid loving plants.
    Its the same as adding garden compost, its only dried camelia leaves after all.

Tannic acid is, to me, is a much more natural acid to add to the soil than sulphuric, which is what I presume you get when you use sulphur to acidify the soil.

As to vinegar, I have heard that a teaspoon to a pint of water when watering houseplants can compensate for the chalk buildup that occurs when using tap water.
    Dont know if it works.

Also, dilute vinegar is supposed to be a substitute for hormone rooting powder.

Anyone else come across these strange ideas?

8. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  9. Julie C

Julie C Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I will now be using my teabags in the garden - just like my grandparents did years ago! :thumb:

10. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
  11. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    We are safe then...8p for a home cup of tea, you got ta be joking. I prefer the 300 for 50p variety...wish I could find some, heh,heh.

12. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't put that rubbish on your plants, they will wither away!

13. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3