What veg and herbs for ground prone to flooding..?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Ipso-phyto, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Ipso-phyto

Ipso-phyto Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My little brain has come up with celery and celeriac as possible candidates, watercress also, but now im hoping for inspiration from the assembled masses...are there any temperate varieties of rice?:scratch:

2. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi,

Rice? I haven`t a clue lol.

But no way Jose on the herbs, they will die no doubt about it.

3. Ipso-phyto

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi claire,
    Would certain labiates such as melissa and other mints not withstand the conditions..? Usually, the water table is only 2.5 ft under although currently half my allotment plot is under water aside from the raised beds

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Blueberries - provided that your ground is acidic.

5. Ipso-phyto

Ratings:
    +0
    ah of course, and cranberries too i suppose. Me thinks i will check out ken fearns 'bible' 'plants for a future' when i get back home.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It is always worth trying some of the riverside candidates, but all in all, I personally would say no to herbs in those conditions.

I think the pertinent point is that it is currently flooded-now when it is also cold. You could always take cuttings of course which might be okay if you plant them out in April or May each year. Perhaps, perhaps if treated as an annual.

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
  8. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Why is the ground prone to flooding? Is it heavy clay soil or something? Or maybe a drainage channel is blocked? There must be a way to either improve drainage or reduce the catchment of run-off in order to reduce the flooding problem.

There was a patch of my land that was always waterlogged, so I just dug a ditch. For the ecowarriors among us, fear not, the soggy patch was wet with run-off water from the main road that was unable to escape down the blocked drain, so I dug out the old ditch and planted loads of willow along it to mop up all those nasty hydrocarbons that road run-off water contains.

9. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Chives, lovage, water mint.

I used to have a particularly waterlogged veg patch in Scotland, it meant leaving the planting til late spring, getting stuff staarted in pots until it was dry enough to plant out

Most of the root crops were fine as long as it wsn't actually under water, leeks were ok and cabbags could cope.

But the best thing to do would be to sort out the drainage, or make raised beds!