What Veg are you going to grow this year ??

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Webmaster, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    As topic says.

I am going to try a few different things this year, want some 'inspiration' as to what to try ;)

Nathan.

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Purple cabbage again. It looks much more interesting on a plate than the green stuff,pickles nicely and over winters well too.
    May give a melon a try just for fun.
    Have you tried spinach beet? A super long term crop and it tastes nothing like the horrible tinned stuff that seems to have put a lot of folk off the veg.

And many thanks for such a super site Nathan!!!

3. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I'm going to try my luck with some pineapple seeds!!

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Lots of peas, mange-tout, sugar snaps and ordinary, broad beans, fewer green beans, different kinds of lettuce, Purslane [one of the few vegetable sources of omega 3 and good in salads],Carrots to try various carrot fly preventatives, parsnips, more kinds of tomatoes, chinese artichokes and sweet potatoes which I haven't tried before. Lots more herbs too.
    I already have perpetual spinach and asparagus planted.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[ 26. February 2006, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: Liz ]

5. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,955
    Liz,

Purslane, omega 3 eh, will give that a go ;) .

More inspiration please :D

DaveW, no problems, the site gives me help as well ;) .

Nathan

6. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,955
    [​IMG]

Thompson and Morgan

An exciting salad herb, with juicy, succulent, rich green foliage. Interesting, and very appealing, taste and texture. Easily grown either in containers or the open ground, and is quick to mature.

Excellent crop for confined spaces; pick leaves as required Easy to grow
    �£1.69 for 1000 seeds

7. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    Outdoor cherry tomatoes against a sunny wall. I have grown these for a few years, they are so sweet tasting, easy to grow, you don't have to remove side shoots they put the greenhouse ones to shame. The Mediterrenean plumb tom may be worth a go. I grow Melons [hybrid] normally ok, they tell you when they are ready for picking by the lovley smell, they need to be off to a resonably early start.

8. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Well - I'm getting all excited as I've got a veg patch incorporated into the garden plans!!! Its not going to be all that big, but around 6foot square. The problem is that the garden isn't going to be finished until the beginning of June, so anything I plant this year won't be able to go out until then - so, any suggestions???? I'm doing a few bits in pots (potatoes, beans and salad) and have the usual toms and cucumbers in the greenhouse. Anything unsual and easy to grow, please!! (the kids eat just about ANYTHING - especially if its home-grown) [​IMG] :cool: :D (This will be my first proper veg patch!!! :D )

9. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I've got a brand new garden, so everything's going to be new! But the real newbies are - the Tomatillo - Salsa plant, and the stripey egg-plant! Saw the seeds and couldn't resist them - and now I have my brand-new greenhouse I'm about to try them out.

10. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    How about a courgette plant Honeybee? Great stir fried, on a BBQ or lightly cooked in a beer batter. Start a couple in the greenhouse and if you plant one out when your garden is ready it will provide courgettes until the first frosts.

11. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,035
    We are going to give Butternut Squash a try this year one plant in the polytunnel and one outside.

Have to agree with Hans regarding outdoor cherry toms. We scoff them like sweets. We did have a couple of plum toms last year - they self seeded in compost from the worm bin and we got a reasonable though late crop from them.

12. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,
    SWEETCORN, YUMMY, easy to grow, but need a bit of space as you need to sow in blocks and not a couple of rows, or they will not produce much in the way of cobs.
    How about trying some SORREL (herb)rumex acetosa
    It is a hardy perennial, remove the flower spikes to prolong leaf production, the young leaves are ideal in salads, soups & sauces.
    the leaves are a bit on the sour side, but a couple torn up in a salad give it a tang! use it for a change in place of rocket, which I love!

13. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Like the idea of the Tomatillo, Nixon (had to google it [​IMG] ), and will definitely try the Courgette, Dave. I have got some Sungold Cherry Toms seeds on a recommendation from a friend.
    Has anyone tried Aubergines? Are they easy to grow? I like them in a Moussaka and roasted.... [​IMG]

14. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    hi rossco,how do you mean in blocks?im gonna try and grow sweetcorn this year.is it to help them stay upright,to sort of lean on each other,so to speak?or something to do with the the amount of sun they need? or am i being thick?next allotment holder to ours grows them and id love to have a bash.

15. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,061
    Sweetcorn are wind pollinated,so planting in blocks eg, 4 rows of 4 plants or 6 of 6 means that the pollen has a chnace of being blown from one to another.
    New veg for us this year is Stachys affinis aka Chinese artichokes.