What Vine/climber can I grow in a conservatory

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Greecko, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
    +86
    So we have a very big old style conservatory (2p years old, all glass sort of one but double glazing still)

It take up alot of our South facing wall of the house. At least 20 foot wide and maybe 14 foot high.

The original owners planted pots into a section they later covered in stones. We pulled a massive Aloe Vera plant out. However the original owner passed long before we bought it but his brother told us he used to have a huge vine that grew up the wall. All he remembers were orange flowers.

I'm curious if there are any vines or climbers that are safe to plant that will survive the roasting summers (it has roof vents but only 2 and still quite hot) as well as the very cold winters?

Thanks!

2. Alisa

Alisa Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,781
    I could've imagined campsis (orange flowers), but most likely not - it has stinky flowers.
    I think grapes would like it. I've seen conservatories filled with grapevines.

3. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,929
    That sounds amazing! Fill with solandra and bougainvillea and and...

edit

Didn't see the very cold part of your post:sad:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +93,111
      I was thinking grapes, but you need the head room to be able to train them without the foliage touching the glass and the space for the grapes to hang down which you seem to have, but it would need to be planted in the ground, often outside and brought through the wall.

I've found anything that grows to the roof mostly flowers with the actual flowers pointing upwards so you tend not to see them, but the back wall could be good for flowering plants.

Watering with containerised plants could be a twice a day chore ones established.

You could be surprised what you can get away with even though you say it gets cold in winter, lots of the so called Mediterranean or sub tropical stuff would survive especially on the wall.

Some of the slightly tender Passion flowers would do well I would think just as an example.

• Like Like x 1
      • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
        Ratings:
        +1,929
        That sounds amazing! Fill with solandra and bougainvillea and and...

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
        +86
        I should get a photo tonight to let you see it. I'd be happy even with fast growing annuals! I'd prefer to keep them all in containers as I'd have to dig up the stones I've laid now in the pots places. Training I can do easily too. So grapes whilst sounding great maybe more hassle.

Would the likes of Morning glory work? I know they like sun and heat but maybe 30c will kill them? I just don't know alot about the more exotic or heat tolerant specied

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
        +86
        I think I'd prefer something less "permanent". They seem more like trees/shrubs? I know id rather in containers incase I have to move them and means I don't have to re dig my stones up I've laid in the old pots place! I appreciate the ideas! I'd even be happy with some annuals!

• pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +93,111
        Morning glory would take 30c as long as they don't dry out.
        Watering would be the key with most things in this kind of situation.
        Some light shading could be useful if possible.

You could also try black eye susie in various forms.
        Rhodochiton is another climber that won't get out of hand under glass.
        If you want something a bit more rampant Cobea ..
        Most half hardy annuals would romp away in those conditions.

Any climbers would obviously need some kind of support netting or strings to climb up.

• flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
        Ratings:
        +1,929
        Some of those climbing pelargoniums would give a less permanent feel or maybe some organ pipe type cacti for something different. Some of the euphorbs take heat well and if kept dry in winter, will cope with most

• Greecko

Greecko Gardener

Ratings:
        +86
        This is what I'm working with, the other half loves house plants generally so we plan to fill it but I'd prefer to try growing my own or some varieties that are a bit different!

I do have rudbeckia growing which seems like black eye Susan but its marmalade variety and I'm not sure if it grows like a climber! I've a host of outdoor flowers but all new to me.

Cobra seems interesting but maybe I'm too late to start them?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

Retired
          Ratings:
          +93,111
          Rudbeckia is just a short growing bushy perennial, or short lived perennial.
          Black eyed Susan is a twining climber.

If you just want pot plants there are all manner of half hardy plants that would be good, French and African Marigolds are really easy, a tomato plant wouldn't be out of place even.