What was your first car

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by Tropical_Gaz, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    Following on from what is your ideal car...

What was the first car you owned/drove?

As a child of the 70s I learnt to drive in the early 1990's in my mums 1988 Fiat Panda 750cl. Although slow, ugly and lacking in any comfort my mates and I were rather pleased to have it as I was the first of my mates for quite a while with a licence. So piling into it for trips to concerts or weekends in Blackpool were quite good fun.

The first car I owned was of similar vintage, a donated 1989 Vauxhall Nova. This had been my dads and was a bit of a heap, but it kept me going for a few years after Uni until the timing chain gave in at 105,000 miles.

Moved on though a couple of other cars to my present car, a Golf GT which i love to bits :)

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I passed my test around 1974 and bought a 1935 Morris Eight :thumb:

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: a 1961 Bullnose Saab 96..
    [​IMG]
    Like this but red...!!:D
    2stroke 3cylinder, 3 speed column gear change.. Oh & the option of free wheel.. The most fantastic car.. Loved it to bits & cried buckets when it went to the big scrapper in the sky....!!!!:rolleyes::D After that I had a couple of 4 strokes. Another 96 & a 95 estate..... Ah those were the days...!!!! All my cars have either lasted a long time or had to..!!!!

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,983
    I tend to keep my vehicles for a very long time.

Firstly I had scooters (in my mod days :cool:) and motorbikes (in my rocker days :confused:), but I still have my very first vehicle; a 1953 Cyclemaster which my brother bought to ride on the farm in the 60s for a bit of fun (it still lives in my shed in several pieces :rolleyes:). If it was in one piece it would look like this:

[​IMG]

My first car was a 1960 Morris Mini Minor (one of the first Minis off the production line). My sister bought it second hand in the late 60s, then my Mum used it then it was my first car as a student in the 70s. I used it on and off until selling it in about 1998, so we had it in the family for over 30 years, I wish I had the space to have kept it, I loved that little Mini, boo hoo I want it back :thumb: but I kept the Reg as a family heirloom :o

5. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I learned to drive in my mum's Metro and borrowed it for years, til I passed my motorcycle licence, and rode a CM 125, then a completely customised XS 400. Gave up motorcycling when had my son, but bought my beloved 1973 VW Camper van which would give us great times, til i could no longer afford it's upkeep. I used my brother's Nissan Micra for 3 years while he was working in the Falklands, then bought my mum's old one, a P reg which i still use today. So, I suppose, over 20 years after passing my test, it is my first car! :)

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Having learned to drive in the mid 60s, my first car was shared with my Sis (Kedi-Gato) and it was a 1956 Ford Victoria .... how strange ....

The first car I had on my own was in 1967 and it was an MGB GT, which I managed to lose on a bend and roll over three times ..... it was a write off .... luckily I wasn't, only went through the side window and had the engine land at my feet .... :eek:

Both of the above cars were in America.

I now, sensibly in my advancing years, drive a Peugeot 306 Cabriolet ...... :thumb:

7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    A H reg rover 416, the day after passing my test bought from a neibour (ripped off by neibour).... the first and last time my old man ever negotiated on a car for me!!!!

Oh yes even had a walnut trim, a real grandads car and only kept it four months before scraping it. On the last day of its ownership I decided to have a bit of fun with it and hit a hump back bridge at 65, it took off from the ground and the rear springs came through the boot!!!

Bought a nice M reg 2 litre mondeo then which was goood for the motorway as I was working as an optical technician and comuting.

Sold the mondeo and bought an L reg isuzu trooper as I was going self emloyed. Wrecked this using it for work and had countless break downs.

Got shot of the isuzu and bought a 2001 transit and shortly after a 03 Navara pickup for towing and as a backup/lesure vehicle. The van was written off earlier this year so replaced it with a 04 top spec transit.

Hope to get shot of the navara next year and get a ex demo Discovery 3 comercial.

8. Anthony

Anthony Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Triumph Dolomite. :D

Ant.

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,084
    Mini 850, wide wheels and a bendy fibreglass aerial clipped to the gutter:D

Couldn't hear anything but the engine at speeds above 50mph.

Wouldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding, and as dangerous as hell.

£39 insurance, third party, fire and theft.

10. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    I learnt to drive in a 1956 Ford Popular :eek:.

The first car I bought (brand new as I had just come out of the merchant navy and had saved my pay) was a 1965 Ford Anglia 105E with a Cortina GT engine and gearbox in it :thumb:. It was pretty fast and I kept it for a number of years but can't remember how long.

A short while later my best friend in the navy made my car look silly by buying a Ford GT40 :( but he did let me have a go driving it on a race track - which frightened the life out of me :D.

[align=center][​IMG][/align]

11. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    This is my one and only car that I have bought from new nearly two years ago. I only passed my test six years ago.I had various 50cc mopeds for nineteen years pictures of which I have on photographs,though they were the ones that looked like mini scooters and not the ones with pedals:)

Once I had passed my test I had a Purple Ford KA for four years which was actually Mr Kandy's car but he passed it on to me.:D

Anyway,this is my pride and Joy and her name is Myrtle and we go nearly everywhere together...
    [​IMG]:thumb:

12. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: I also rode motorcycles for many years as did other half.. I had a BSA Bantam 175 sport as my first bike, then a 250 Moto Guzzi Lodola. Royal Enfield 250 Crusader Sports & a 350 Royal Enfield Bullit & every one was oil tight..!!!:D My daughter came on the back & we did many happy miles... The old man had a BSA Road Rocket , Enfield Meteor Minor as well as a couple of Triumphs & a Morini...:thumb: :DNo more riding on the roads for us now... Too many bliddy cars & lorries..!!!:eek:

13. spudbristol

spudbristol Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ive never had a car :( i passed my test in 2006 an as i was allready self employed i bought this [​IMG]

A 98 suzuki supercarry i loved it cos it showed how well i was doing i spent hours working on it takeing off the signs polishing it an treasting the rust [​IMG] nit was great easy to park an fun to drive :D however i the exhaust and cat fell off after a month an i got ice on the inside of the windows lol

ive now got a 02 2.0 HDI citroen dispatch :D [​IMG]

An next monday ill finally get me personalised plate on it :cool:

14. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Morris 1100:eek: didn't last long as it was about 10 years old when I got it:rolleyes:

Then only had a couple more cars until around 1992 when I bought my lovely XR2 which at only 5 years old was like a new car to me:thumb:

Now I'm back even further with a 13 year old car, although I have had it 3 years so I suppose i'm just keeping the same:confused: One day, when I grow up;), I will get one that's less than 10 years old:D

cheers

15. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Morris Oxford. Steering like a brick:D