What will grow through ground ivy?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Anguisfragilis, May 2, 2024.

1. Anguisfragilis

Anguisfragilis Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I’m very much a wildlife gardener and I have a north facing “bed” which is at the base of a mature hawthorn which is a carpet of ivy. The celandine will grow through it in late winter but I’m looking for ideas for anything which may grow through it in spring and summer. I’m very much a native first kind of guy, especially in this area of the garden but I’m not absolutely wedded to natives if something will add some colour and structure to the section. It does get some late afternoon/early evening sun. For clarity I’m looking for perennials which will grow through the ivy carpeting the ground, not climbers which will grow up it.

2. On the Levels

On the Levels Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,501
    What about bluebells? We have them growing through ivy and come up each year. Also Paris quadrifolia (photo). An amazing plant which we have under a magnolia and catalpa. Even though it's name suggests 4 leaves it often can have 5 or 6. It is in flower now. We also have different euphorbias that grow up through the ivy and the bees love it. Bugle is another one that the bees go for.
    IMG_20240414_144745.jpg

3. Anguisfragilis

Anguisfragilis Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Euphorbias not a bad shout. I’ve got loads I could transplant or supplement with some new ones