What's damaging these fig leaves, please?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Clare G, Jul 6, 2023.

1. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,818
    This is a real pain - this is a young tree (3 years old now) which I've been training against a garden wall and trellis. It grows well and at the beginning of the season its new leaves are beautiful, but then around this time of year something comes along and damages virtually every one of them. I assume it's some kind of insect - there are holes as if the leaves are being eaten, and some areas have a sort of cobwebby mesh with little dangling black specks. Hopefully you can see that in the second close-up photo. No other plants in the area are affected. The location it's in is a sunny, sheltered one - but perhaps a bit 'stuffy' - through breezes are a rarity.

It's still growing away strongly but as this seems to happen every year, and looks so horrid, I'm wondering if I should just take it out this autumn and replace it with something else that might do better in this spot. Maybe the Japanese wineberry I asked about recently :biggrin:? But thought I would check in first to ask whether anyone knows what the culprit is, and whether there's an easy fix for it.

P7062029.JPG P7062032.JPG P7062033.JPG

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
  2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059
    I've never seen anything like that before, just wondering if it's a leaf miner or some kind.
    The holes could be a moth Caterpillar.

• Like Like x 1
    • Drahcir

Drahcir Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,006
      Yes. Some sort of leaf skeletoniser. If you do out from time to time (light and dark) and look carefully at both the upper and lower leaf surfaces, you may be able to find larvae. It looks from the frass and webbing that something is feeding on the top surface of the leaf. It's possible that whatever it is has finished that part of its life cycle now. If it's an ongoing problem some preemptive treatment might help.

There are all sorts of strange things about. OT, I found some oak slug sawfly larvae last year. Bizarre.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +92,059
        I'm looking at the pics on my PC now and yes I dont think it leaf miner, now that I can see the pictures properly.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,818
          Thanks both! Good idea about checking after dark - I will give that a go.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +15,332
          It is caterpillar damage and there is an easy solution. Bacillus thuringiensis used as a preventative or curative spray. It's not a chemical, just a bacteria that targets caterpillars of all descriptions.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,818
            • Friendly Friendly x 1