1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

What's eating my amaryllis?!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Oceangore, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Oceangore

Oceangore Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hullo, hope someone can help me with this one. Will try to post a pic or two if I can...

I put four of my amaryllis plants up on the roof about a month ago, as the weather has been great (I grew a bunch from seeds, from an amaryllis Christmas present - these plants are about 2 and a half years old). I brought them back inside last week as I noticed they had become damaged - I looked all over them and couldn't see any obvious pests like caterpillars. There are holes in some of the leaves, from about 3mm in size to long thin holes up to 2/3cm; there is some evidence of something burrowing through the leaf - pale tracks in the leaf about 1mm thick - but there aren't many tracks and I can't see anything in there.

There are some really big holes in one of the bulbs (which my partner thought might have been pigeons pecking at them?!) which are edged with red - this may or may not be the same pest! About half the brown casing has come away from this bulb so it's got the white bit exposed. It's still nice and firm and hasn't gone squidgy or anything.

I've been looking on-line but I can't fathom out what this might be. The only insect I've been able to spot on them is a teeny weeny bug that I can barely see - with a magnifying glass it looks like it's a grey colour and a sort of stubby cigar shape, if that makes sense - but I can't see much more than that. Could it be these fellas causing the damage?

Either way - I don't really know what to do about it. Should I leave the damaged leaves on the plant or take them off? I'm loathe to start throwing insecticide on them, especially without knowing what it is. Any advice would be really appreciated!

(Sorry for the long post!)

O

2. Oceangore

Ratings:
    +4
    Ok, let's see if these pics appear... Hope they're not too crazy big :new:

I actually cut a leaf from the plant in the middle picture as it was so damaged; another leaf on here and on one of the others had yellowed so I took those off.

IMG_0016.JPG IMG_0014.JPG IMG_0019.JPG

O

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,630
    It could be some slug damage, but mostly it just looks like physical damage caused by wind perhaps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Oceangore

Ratings:
      +4
      Oh, ok. That's less dramatic than I thought! The holes in the bulb are my main concern, I think - I guess leaves can grow again but not sure how damaged the bulb is.

Thanks for your reply!

O

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,630
      The bulb is not badly damaged, just looks a lot worse than it is.;)

• Oceangore

Ratings:
      +4
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,089
      I agree with @pete - wind damage and slugs (the clue there being the bulb damage). Amarylis leaves have fibres running through them that slugs can't get through hence the partial damage.