What's eating my Brugs?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, May 28, 2011.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I'm getting some small holes, which have become larger, principally in the small leaves growing on side shoots off the main stem. not the main monster-sized leaves, nor the ones at the tip.

The plants have a fair number of ants running around on them now. I haven't noticed more than the odd one or two aphids or whitefly. Definitely not an infestation, although I've seen the occasional indication of sticky residue on a few leaves. Not the amount I normally associate with ants farming the aphids ... but clearly the ants think there is something there.

I've looked under a magnifying glass and not seen any bugs. One or two aphids per leaf, no more than that - and this doesn't look like the sort of damage they would cause

I would have said it was slugs, but there is no sign of trails. (I've put some slug pellets on the compost surface of the pots though, just in case).

The plants are in the greenhouse (in about 10L pots)

All thoughts and advice welcome, thanks :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Wouldn't like to guess Kristen, but have you tried the midnight look around with a torch, amazing how some of these bugs can hide all day and only come out at night.

Should add, I'm not suggesting its vampires.:)

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    John suggested slug pellets yesterday, and now you remind me to check at midnight.

I wonder who has nicked my marbles?!!

I'll have a look when I awake in front of the telly, again!, tonight. Thanks.

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    It's happening here too Kristen ... not only with my Brugs but also my Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. We are overridden with tiny ants at the moment but it seems that as I take the eaten leaves away (always the lower ones) the newer ones are not affected. :yess::what:

I opt for the Vampires ... :heehee:

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I've got a book on Brugs in which it says that they are attacked by about every bug you can think of - so take your pick. Mine are currently being eaten by slugs - I think. But the holes are much bigger than yours.

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have just had a look in my book and am tempted to say green leaf bug (Lygus pabulinus) see Lygus pabulinus

The main pests according to the book are

Green Leaf Bug. The bug's saliva is poisonous to the plant and causes the leaves to grow irregularily and often to be completely deformed.

Spider mites cause fine light yellow spots all over a leaf. Spray with an aracide. RSM hates humidity.

Aphids. Brugs are such strong growers, they can usually outgrow the damage these cause. But dangerous if they carry a virus.

Whitefly. These overwinter in greenhouses. Damage similar to RSM but larger spots. Usually sit on underside of leaves.

Caterpillars, slugs and snails. Large holes - active at night.

7. bambooruth

bambooruth Gardener

gardener
    Ratings:
    +313
    ok i hold my hands up its me eating everyones brugs :heehee:

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    If it looks like it might be spreading then how about a preventative spray anyway.