What's happened to my peas

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul N, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Paul N

Paul N Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first season at veg growing so I'm sure I've made many mistakes, but my current dilemma is peas.

Up until a week ago I thought I had healthy pea plants, they were strong and had early pods, however literally within a couple of days they had all started to turn yellow and wither.

Coincidentally this was straight after the heavy rain.

I've only a small plot with peas, lettuce, carrots, spring onions and potatoes.

What could be wrong with my peas ????

2. KevinO

KevinO Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Paul N The heavy rain could have made the area round your peas very damp + muggy which might cause them to rot, especially if there is little air getting at them. This has happened to my peas, the heavy rain flattened them + the bottom layer of the peas became very mouldy + they have strtd to rot!

3. Kathy3

Kathy3 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    [​IMG]

i know i should have thined out my carrots
    but they look lovely and green,maybe i will get one great big carrot and it will feed the neighbourhood

4. Paul N

Paul N Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I could only think that the rain had something to do with it as they were perfectly healthy plants before.

Another lesson learnt !

5. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi

same has happened to mine :( had quite a few peas of the plants too but have gone yellow i have started some more off but bet they will end up the same with this PANTS WEATHER :mad:

6. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    nice looking carrots by the way paul welldone let me know how they go on as i want to try them next year if we get any sun that is !!!

7. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi all, the rain is not only flattening things it is also leaching the nutrients out of the soil so don`t forget to feed. Kathy, there`s nothing wrong with your carrots just keep an eye on them and make the most of "baby" carrots.David.