What's looking good in March 2009 .....

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Victoria, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    :) Happy St David's Day from a Valley Girl ...

Another month is upon us and as we were going out today and I was opening the gates I saw the first Freesias starting to bloom ... it's the combination of torrential rain interspersed with warm sunshine ...

[​IMG]

The dying off strappy leaves just behind them are the Acidenthera as they bloom in the Autumn/Winter here.

The strange thing is they seemed to have developed a white streak on them this year ....

[​IMG]

And my beautiful but straggly (because I didn't cut it back) Grevillia 'Canberra Gem' is just covered in buds ... and blooms ....

[​IMG]

This is a lovely little sprawling shrub and should go in the rockery .... but sadly there is no space so in a pot it has to stay.

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Looking good Vicky, we get torrential rain and warm sunshine occasionally in August!:D
    As usual you're a bit ahead of us.:thumb:

3. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    :) Just a wee bit, strongy ... :hehe:

I don't know where my head is but I forgot to put up the most important pic for today ... my one and only stem of mini daffs, now about 15cm tall with the blooms 2cm across (this is a much clearer pic than the one I put up last week so guess I'm improving with the Fuji) ....

[​IMG]

4. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Carnations
    [​IMG]

Snowdrops
    [​IMG]

Violas and Ivy
    [​IMG]

Basket Violas

[​IMG]

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Winter Pansie's, They have Flowered all winter :thumb: only seen them wilt twice when we had snow...

[​IMG]

And my Greenhouse, Looks like Everything has survived, Wayhay...

[​IMG]

6. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
  7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I think I know why there are so many pieris` in gardens-such good value plants that delight in spring with the flowers and again when their leaves turn scarlet later in the year.

This is one of mine-the rest I have to fight my way through to get a good picture and it`s just too wet and muddy here today to do that, and turning a touch nippy.

[​IMG]

And this one-I always forget it`s name ( can anyone help) was a rather destitute looking cutting I nearly gave up on and until the last few days had forgotten why I had persevered. It still has along way to go before it`s as grand as I`d like but such a lovely pretty colour in a dull northern garden.

[​IMG]

8. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    beautiful.
    the bulbs are coming up in my garden but I have a lot of cleaning up to do. Have not touched the garden since early December so you can guess waht state it might be in.

9. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Claire, I think it is a Corylopsis spicata (spike winter hazel). Must say it is really lovely, have only seen one in a catalogue recently - that's how I guessed yours!

Crocus in our garden today -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- also snowdrops

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- and Leucojum -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. TopCat

TopCat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Superb photos Kedi-Gato:thumb:

What camera - lens combination do you use to get t hose lovely shots?

11. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Thanks TopCat.

I have a Ricoh Caplio R6 camera. I just had it set on Macro and then cropped the pics in Picasa.

Catkins swaying in the breeze yesterday -

[​IMG]

12. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Either you are a pixie KediGato or you have magnificent flexibility, superb pictures of those snowdrops and crocuses-you should enter one of those in the competition, I think they're amazing.

Thanks for letting me know what it is-I am truly shocking at remembering what I have and can't id things for toffee ( although I do seem to persevere with humourous consequences lol). I does look better in the flesh than on the picture and the colour stands out much more-not much good at taking good pics( but that's another thing I will persevere with ).

13. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,159
    Lovely Pieris, Claire. I had one in Bucks that was a show year round.

Well, Sis, stunning ... what else can I say? xx

I wasn't sure where to post this so I thought here would be a good spot ... my first bouquet of Freesias which I have on the peninsula in the kitchen so I get to see and smell them from where I sit in the dining area when I'm on the computer and I just wanted to share them ...

[​IMG]

My favourites are actually the bronzy/gold ones which are the last to bloom and have the headiest scent.

By the way, these are English bulbs planted years ago which just spread and spread and bloom here this time of year.

14. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    They give a lovely colour splash against the white marble, Sis.

I wish I was lucky with them as I love the scent of the yellow ones - heavenly!

More of our snowdrops, taken a few days ago actually -

[​IMG]

15. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    Really lovely photos everyone :gnthb:.

Kedi, I agree with Lolli that you must be very flexible. I try taking photos from underneath the small flowers but it is very hit and miss because I just stick the camera under them and hope for the best. I never bother to crop them :)

We have quite a few things in bloom in the garden but I haven't taken any this month, yet. :(

Here are a few shots I took when we visited Anglesey Abbey (NT) on Saturday. This is their winter garden and apart from it being a very dull day so the photos don't have good colour there is, unfortunately, no way to capture the heavenly scent of the plants. They have avenues of sarcoccoca, winter honeysuckle, witchhazel etc.

Kedi has already named these two.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are betula utilis Jacquemontii (Himalayan Birch - Silver Shadow). I only remembered the Jacquemontii bit and Googled the rest. They actually wash the trunk and branches with dilute washing up liquid.

[​IMG]

I would have to check the names of all the rest with Mrs shiney but she is not available at the moment. Most of them are obvious but I'm not sure of the varieties :scratch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]