whats my name please

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by intermiplants, Oct 9, 2007.

1. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    this has been in next doors garden for six years and they havnt a clue what it is called so ive promised her i will find out..any ideas
    [​IMG]

2. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
  3. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It looks like a Japanese anenome to me. They remain invisible all year then suddenly WOW! I would love one they have such beautiful flowers.

4. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hows that for a quick reply :D :D

5. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    wow celia i had not even posted it and you had replied... think we should get you on countdown :D [​IMG]

6. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    Possibly Japanese Anemone (Vitifolia) agree with
    Celia [​IMG]

7. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    If it is a white flowered one then it is almost certainly Honorine de Joubert.
    We have been pouring weedkiller on the pink version for the last 3 years and still it grows. It is worse than ground elder.

8. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hey Palustris. This has won the RHS AGM (Award of Garden Merit). Strange to say they don't say it is invasive, just that you should be prepared to 'dig up clumps if it should spread beyond its welcome boundaries.' Let's have a big cheer for the RHS. :D

9. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Hollow laughter. It spreads by root cuttings so as you did it out any tiny pieces will re-grow and each one has to be sprayed because as you dig it out each tiny piece left grows. It also spreads by seed so if you forget to cut it down then you get ne wplants everywhere the cotton wool is blown. Each time that happens and you dig it out you are propagating it by root cuttings. In our roadside border it has wiped out a dozen other more desirable plants by its invasiveness.
    We are talking here of a plant measuring say 12 feet by 12 feet wide at least!

10. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I agree pal, its a nasty piece of work, dont even think of intoducing it to your garden unless you are prepared to have it spead all over.
    Wish I hadn't got it anyway.

11. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I have heard it said that it only invasive if it likes your conditions. You obviously treat your plants far too well Palustris! I have a couple that are getting to be a good size, but nowhere yours. - Perhaps I should start to take action now.

12. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Just heard Monty Don tonight on Gardener's World say its good for dry shade - which is always a problem area. Whilst it may romp away in rich moist conditions, I presume it would be much better behaved in a somewhat hostile environment.

13. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    We've had ours for years, the pink one, and it has never been a problem. It took quite a while to get going as I think it didn't get enough sun. Now that that has been righted (huge tree cut down March/April 2006) it is doing well. Likewise the clump I planted elsewhere in a sunny spot.

We have the middle-high one, but saw that a neighbour has the tall one, looks very impressive.