What's the best way to get rid of my potato peelings?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Jungle Jane, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    Have been composting for over a year now and have had a good amount, but feel I should be adding more to the bin to bulk it up and get more finished compost.

Anyway early last year I started adding potato peelings to my bin only to find them all sprouting! A quick google shows that a few people have this problem and decided not to put them in the bin anymore.

But recently I've felt quite guilty about tipping the peelings into a rubbish bag. I've thought about buying a wormery to eat the potato peelings and other Kitchen waste, only to find that the worms are slow to eat them too. I've thought about buying a couple of bokashi bins to help the peelings rot down before I put them in the compost bin.

Could anyone else tell me how they successfully dispose of their potato peelings without them being taken to landfill or sprouting?

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Ours all go into the compost bins and we've had no significant problems with sprouting. On occasion when we've dumped whole potatos in we've seen sprouts start but once they've been well covered they've not developed. Our bins are full of worms and they don't seem to have any problem with potato peelings.
    It could be that you are not feeding the bin fast enough.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,669
    Shred them ... that'll stop them growing! If they are deep enough in the heap the sprouts will die and then also compost, so a bigger heap ould help, if you can get more material?

4. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,075
    ER, why are you peeling potatoes in the first place? The best taste and most goodness is just under the skin so in peeling them you are removing the best bits. We only wash potatoes (admittedly only eat own grown ones so they are chemical free).
    We have been known to harvest a good crop of potatoes from the compost heap when we have thrown bits of potatoes away.

5. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I only peel maincrop potatoes, with a peeler and never had a problem as they are nice and thin. I'm guessing you use a knife to peel your spuds which would result in a fatter peel, the eyes on those will sprout.

As Kristen says you could shred them which will stop them or you could just break the sprouts off in the compost heap when you see them or when you turn the heap.

Steve...:)

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    We have been composting our potato peelings for the last thirty one years in our compost bins and have never had a problem with them sprouting because with all the other veg peelings,grass,plant material,paper etc, we put on top they never see the light of day to sprout.The only sprouters we get are if whole spuds are added to the bins and we often let them grow and have had some fantastic sized spuds from the bins come harvest time:D

7. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,022
    We have council food waste bins.
    Spud peelings just go in that.

8. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,843
    I've been composting all kitchen waste for years and never had a problem with potato peelings sprouting. I use the old fashioned potato peeler which gives fairly thin peelings, do you think the problem is that your peelings are too thick:scratch::D

9. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Scrunge will be on in a minute to tell you to make crisps out of them

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,843
      I used to love crisp butties when I was a kid...........since I haven't got any in at the moment I have to do without.:D

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
      Ratings:
      +3,225
      I'm starting to wonder that. I suppose it would be cheaper to invest in a good peeler than a £60 bokashi bin or a £30 wormery!

• Like Like x 1