What's the right time?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by BB3, May 7, 2024.

1. BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
    Ratings:
    +1,582
    My phone and my tablet show different times ( two minutes difference). Why is this and how do I check which one's right?

2. Jenny_Aster

Jenny_Aster Optimistic Gardener.

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,035
    Guess Greenwich Mean Time - Time.is will tell you. Wondering why your two devices are different? Just had to check mine :rolleyespink:

Edited to add that an hour should be added on for summertime. Still the minutes should be accurate.

• Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: May 7, 2024
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,681
      I use a small radio controlled clock which is quite old but it's the one I use if I want the exact time.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
        Ratings:
        +1,582
        Tablet and TV are the same so I 'll go with that one. The phone is a couple of minutes fast but that's ok. At least I won't miss the bus!

• Like Like x 1
        • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +19,472
          I haven't got a tablet but I have several clocks in the house. They all tell different times, although very close to each other. For me myself an approximate time is enough and a minute or two either way doesn't matter ... but then I never have to time anything, although I can understand that would be important to some.
          I've got two laptops but I haven't thought of checking if they tell the exact same time.

When I go to catch a bus I make sure I'm there about 10 mins before it's due. They're never exactly on time anyway.

This reminds me of a Poirot film I once saw (Murder of Roger Ackroid I think it was) where he had all the clocks in the house chiming exactly together in unison ! It sounded odd ...

Well, I hope you can get your tablet and phone to 'chime in unison' @BB3 because it is obviously important to you :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +92,681
            The clock in my car gains about 3 minutes a week, it's absolutely useless and often something strange happens and the date goes wrong as well.

• JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,821
            I'm another one who doesn't feel the need to know the exact time. All the clocks in our house are slightly different, only adjusted an hour in spring and autumn (except the one on the cooker that I can never remember how to do and can't be bothered to look up). Electronic devices are left to get the time from wherever they get it from. The clock on my car dashboard is two or three minutes fast compared to the one on the built-in satnav/entertainment thingy which I think picks up a time signal from somewhere.
            For appointments etc I always allow time to be 10 minutes or so early anyway so if my watch or phone is a bit out, it doesn't matter. For online work meetings I go by the time on my work laptop which apparently picks it up from the company's main server so everyone's laptops should be the same, in theory anyway, and it's not my fault if it's out of sync and I'm late!