Whats wrong with my sunflower??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by busybee, Aug 13, 2009.

1. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, at the risk of sounding incredibly stupid (i'm not sure if my sunflower is an annual :o), I'm wondering what is wrong with my dwarf sunflower?

I bought it a couple of weeks ago and potted it up into a larger pot. It was a pot of three stems and each stem had quite a number of flower heads on it, including some that were just starting to open up. I have kept it watered and it has been in full sun for the most part of the day (if not all) but tonight i noticed its starting to droop - all of it, the flower heads, the leaves, the petels, everything!

Obviously some of the larger, older flower heads have started to go over before now, but suddenly the whole plant is 'going over'!

Is it cos it IS an annual, or is it cos ive done something wrong?

Thanks

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Mine do that but it's usually lack of water. They seem to perk up after watering. Sunflowers are annuals but they should be good for a while yet.

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I've seen it too. Basically what Aaron says.

4. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I gave it a good watering and its all better thanks!! Can you tell me what i need to do, if anything, with the flower heads once they have gone over? If i need to remove them, where on the plant is the best place to do it? (I'm a complete beginner so a fairly basic description would be great, thank you!)

5. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    If they are the usual big bright yellow ones, leave them in situ. The birds will be most grateful when the middle bits of the heads become packed with sunflower seeds.

6. busybee

busybee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It is a dwarf sunflower. But i guess i can leave the flower heads so i can collect the seeds? Would i sow the seeds once they have been produced? Or do i wait?

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Collecting the seeds of sunflowers;

'Harvest as soon as the seeds start to turn brown or the backs of the seed heads turn yellow. The heads usually droop at this time. Cut them along with 2 feet of stem and hang upside down in a dry, well-ventilated place such as a garage or attic until fully dry. Rub two seed heads together to extract the seeds or use a wire brush or similar tool. Spread out damp seeds on a rack until fully dry.'

Good luck.Hel.xxx.