What's your favourite gardening implement?

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Loofah, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    So folks, just what is your all time, favourite gardening device..? I just got myself a new hoe and I've got to say, I think this one wins for me! No more crawling around on hands and knees:)

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Long handled spade. And I mean loooooong, like Americans and mainland Europeans use. I made my own handle from the ash shaft of an old patio sunshade. The top of the handle comes to about shoulder height on me. It's so much easier on the back, especially when digging deep holes and you can get terrific leverage if you need it e.g. digging out an old shrub.

3. Rosiemongrel

Rosiemongrel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been wondering this - why are English spades and shovels so short? I have European relatives, and when they saw my shovel, they nearly fell over laughing, asking me if this was intended for a pigmy. They gave me a long handled spade from their own collection, and it is wonderful. So what's the reason fo rthis peculiar-seeming design "feature"?

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I have what I know of as a Cornish Shovel which has a long handle:

[​IMG]

5. honeytone

honeytone Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It has to be my hoe. :thumb:

6. Man Of Leisure MOL

Man Of Leisure MOL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my flourescent , orange, plastic, bought, for 80p, 4 inch dibberis my unreplaceable favorite tool. Present bought by old friend in 1987....my Xmas pressie.given alongside a 4 inch plastic fork, un-losable but lost in my raised bed....I think/hope....still looking for it

7. Ivory

Ivory Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes why short handled spades, why? Also in Germany they have these little spades. They are cute, and thank God I am small, but I miss my long handled one.

In theory my favourite tool would be my digging fork. But actually I have two of them, different models, and what I would love is something that combines the features of both. I have seen one but it costs a fortune. Christmas?

8. fmay

fmay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My favourite is a pink-handled pair of shears that are sharp enough to do what they are supposed to do.

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
  10. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    What an interesting question.

Well I have to do all my gardening sitting down...usually on the floor....so the one implement I couldn't do without is my lawn edger with a D shaped blade. Used to be my dad's and now I have it.

I use it for hoeing, digging, planting and virtually everything else. I have replaced the shaft a few times, but the head I just keep sharpening when necessary. I would be lost without this tool.:thumb:

Must say though, you need long arms and powerful shoulders...but I do.

11. coucou

coucou Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Like do you mean what could you not do without in the garden?

If so has to be my lawnmower as I am very lawn proud.

If I got it wrong then it has to be my hoe also

Jane x

12. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    like bob I have a few!!!

Hand tools wise, My tapemouth shovel, razor sharp and perfect for lifting turves diging planting holes etc, My pick aze, thirdly my most used tool my felco no7s.

[​IMG]

Power tools wise:

My clearing saw, This is my favourite machine, it has a cruise control trigger the result is a halved fuel bill,hardly uses any cord and no backache even after 8 hours solid use cutting slopes. tons of power for long grass when opened up:

[​IMG]

My blower, saves no end of time especially in the gardens were i look after a lot of topiary yew and box hedging, barely any raking.

[​IMG]

My 575 ample power for what i need and a beutiful pice of enginerring, As an ex forestry worker i always hankerd after a husqy 372, this saw is farr better and more tourq, with the big bar on its has cut up some very large windblow along with lowering dozens of tree stumps and a fair bit of felling.

[​IMG]

Thirdly my pole saw, 30' of reach. an amazing time saver that has paid for itself dozens of times, I even fit a hedge trimmer blade on it ocasionally.

[​IMG]

13. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    The implement I make most use of is a diver's knife. It's just brilliant for weeding between closely spaced veg and flowers.

14. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    The first and foremost has got to be my knee pads just a shame the industrial ones don't come in pink!

Flexy buckets are a close second like BobJ has although ours are purple and orange Bob drawn the line at the pink ones! Hel.xxx.

15. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0