Whays wrong with my spinach

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by holttum, Jun 25, 2009.

1. holttum

holttum Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Sowed my spinach 6 weeks ago and i have just taken the second lot of leaves to use at home and i niticed that nearly all the plants are going to seed,what have i done wrong or is spinach just a hard veg to grow,last year my everlasting spinach seemed to be ok thanks for any surggestions

regards Holttum

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Spinachneeds a rich soil, dappled shade, and plenty of water. Prolonged dry spell and it will run to seed. You need to sow successionally to have continuous cropping.

For those reasons I gave up trying to grow it some time ago, and now grow Perpetual Spinach / Leaf beat instead, together with Swiss Chard [various names for much-the-same family of plants] - and we also cook the tops of beetroot in the same way.

Bog-standard Ruby Chard is more prone to bolting, but Swiss Chard less so.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,986
    At this time of year its difficult stopping it running to seed. Just keep nipping off the flowers Holttum, it makes the plant produce a few more leaves and you'll get another couple of weeks worth of leaves. I'm on my third batch of spinach this year, as soon as I plant out one set I start another batch of seeds in the same seed tray. That works for me and I get spinach through-out the summer/autumn.