When does Cistus pulverulentus 'Sunset' flower?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Alan Clark, May 28, 2024.

1. Alan Clark

Alan Clark Gardener

Ratings:
    +180
    There seems to be a lot of disagreement about when this plant flowers, even within one website! According to one site "The plant’s main attraction is its beautiful flowers, which bloom from late spring to early summer. Flowering from June to September, it grows...".

September is not early summer! So can someone who actually grows this specific variety tell me when it flowers for them?

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,485
    I wonder if they mean - it starts flowering in late spring/early summer, and then goes on until September?
    It's rather ambiguous though, if that is what they mean, but the phrase 'which bloom from late spring to early summer' could have been worded more sensibly - or it could all have been punctuated more accurately, if that's what was meant.

I thought most Cistus were largely summer flowering, and would go on into early autumn if conditions suited.

3. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,334
    Mine's flowering now and will finish in June. Even allowing for a slight difference in climate that's absolute nonsense about Cistus flowering all summer. They're mediterranean maquis plants so a quick burst of flower in Spring and then just dig in and survive the heat of summer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Alan Clark

Alan Clark Gardener

Ratings:
      +180
      This site has details of many cistus when grown in Oregon, and table 3 shows that this variety has one of the longest flowering times, but only two months.
      Rockrose (Cistus spp. and Halimium spp.) Evaluation for Western Oregon

I searched Flickr for photos of cistus flowers, and they were all taken before the middle of June, apart from one of Cistus creticus ssp. eriocephalus on September 8 in Devon.