When should I ... How long will it ... ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kristen, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Folks, I've seen quite a few "When should I sow ..." and "If I sow now when will it be ready to move to the greenhouse ..." type questions.
    This year, for the first time, I am definitely going to keep proper records!

To that end I have made an Excel spreadsheet which shows:

• Type of crop (grouped by "Type" so that things in the same Rotation are together)
    • Name - e.g. Lettuce
    • Variety - blank to be filled in
    • Sown
    • Germinated
    • Planted out
    • First harvest
    • Last harvest

If any of you folks would like a copy you are welcome. All I would ask is that you send it back to me periodically, as you fill it in, and I will collate all the information (as best as I can!) and post it here.

I'll do my best to indicate how being further North has impacted things.

Hopefully it will make a useful resource for folk coming along next year to be able to gauge what-when ...

If you are able to help by recording your crops please send me a private message, and I'll send you the spreadsheet. I only know how to do Excel I'm afraid!

Some more info in My Blog

Sample image:

[​IMG]

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What a good idea! I think that the south is up to 3 weeks further on to the north. This is generally going on other garden operations to seed sowing (when plants bud/flower etc) and the Farmers, when they carry out various operations, the best guide is at harvest time.

I get criticized as I'm often ahead of operations, as I run on 'southern time', but now reside in the north!

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Ill have it Kristen-great idea and really very kind of you.

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    You'll need to send me your Email address in a private message, or email, please

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I have sent the first batch ... so if you sent me your Email address you should have a copy soon - if not give me a nudge please 'coz something has gone wrong.

6. hmallett

hmallett Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Rather than a spreadsheet, I figure that if I put it on my blog, I can refer to it the next year, and others can see what I'm doing wrong!

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Its a good idea Kristen - I definately need to get more organised and knowing when to do things would be great.

8. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I've only had a couple of takers - if anyone else would like a copy please speak up!!

you will only need to bung in the varieties you plant, and the dates you sow / plant and start / end harvest. Enter as little, or as much, as you wish (you can also put in the number of plants you gorw, price of seed, etc. and even the weight of crop you harvest if you are really keen!)

That will help me because the more data I have the better I'll be able to aggregate it all when I report back with the results.

Thanks.

9. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I will go for that K
    I to have started a spreadsheet this year so it should be a simple job to transfer the details to yours. My details to you are winging their way via a pm
    robert

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Thanks Robert. I'm a computer jock, so if it takes you more than 5 minutes to transfer your data across send me yours and I'll happily do it for you.