When should one prune a large magnolia tree?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Angelo_R, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Angelo_R

Angelo_R Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We have a fairly large magnolia tree. Should we prune it? I would like to cut it back so that it does not over hang some drains on a small extension we have.

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi Angelo
    if its just the one or two branch's you could prune now (mid summer prune as it is called) as the cuts can take a long time to heal so now is best over the summer months to give it time to heal before winter or you may induce die back and disease, for the future try and tip prune as it grows this means as you see a branch developing just pinch out the growing tip, Magnolias dont like heavy pruning and may somtimes send out long whippy growths they need to be removed you wont get any flowers from these.

Hope this helps if possible can you upload a photo

ps sharp blade try not to leave it jagged or tatty

Spruce

3. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    As Spruce says Magnolias don't like heavy or drastic pruning, if its full branch removal then it should be done during late summer, that way the tree may not 'bleed' too much.

Taken from the RHS website;

"Deciduous magnolias

Pruning is seldom required, with the following exceptions:
    • Shape trees at planting timeby removing weak and badly placed growth and tipping back long shoots
    • Heavy pruning of mature magnolias can induce watershoots (long, vertical, vigorous shoots) and dieback. Routine pruningis therefore usually restricted to removing deadwood and watershoots
    • When pruning to limit size, aim to maintain an open, balanced crown by thinning out stems to the trunk or to a sideshoot. Stage the pruning over several years to avoid stressing the tree
    • Renovation should also be done over two or three years and trees can be slow to recover
    • Prune branches back to a natural fork to avoid leaving unsightly stubs
    • Cuts bleed if pruned in late winter or early spring so pruning should only be done between mid-summer and early autumn"
    :blue thumb:

4. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    Hi Angelo - Spruce and Bilbos advice is spot on . I have just cut back ,on Monday, to tidy a Magnolia Susan about 8 foot tall . Around now and later is the correct time to do it , I just cut back around 1/3 to half the stems. I will cut it back in another 2 years to keep it in size and shape.

• Like Like x 2
    • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
      Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
      Ratings:
      +11,493
      I think this is a lesson for us all. That before you plant anything in any space you think of the adult size and will it fit. I know this is too late for this treasured tree.

I only trim the stems or branching of my Mags, that stick upward to the heavens, other than that, I leave it alone.

• Like Like x 2