When to give it it's first cut

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jakleb, Oct 11, 2010.

1. jakleb

jakleb Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again
    Put seed down about 10 days ago and it has finally came through, looking great sorta just appeared over night. just wondering now when to give it its first cut? :)

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Wait until the grass is 2" long, then when the soil is dry enough that it doesn't stick to shoes / anything I would give it a roll. If you have a roller that's fine, if you have a mower with a roller then you can hold the handles down so that the blade doesn't touch the grass. That will help firm the soil, anchor the roots, and make the grass "tiller". After a few days the flattened grass will have sprung back upright and you could cut NO MORE than 1/2" off. I doubt you will need to cut it again this year, and IMHO if you don't cut it at all until next Spring (e.g. because the ground is too wet) then I don't think it will matter - but personally I would want to get it rolled.. don't use some massive 20 tonne roller though!!

Make sure the mower blades are really sharp before you cut new grass - so you don't tear the grass as being young it will be more prone to infection if its bruised rather than cut.

Beware if you have a flymo that the "suction" will tend to lift young seedlings, so important that their roots are well anchored before mowing :thumb: