When to Harvest Over Wintered Onions

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Patl, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Patl

Patl Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I planted some onion sets to grow throught the winter for the very first time.
    Do you know when I can expect to harvest them. I am guessing mid June and then I was going to put sume carrots nantes in to follow

Thanks

Pat

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Pat. I reckon that when the leaves start to die down and turn brown, that's about the right time to dig 'em up. Try to dry them off for a couple of weeks before storing them. Be warned though, they MIGHT not last as long in storage as regular onions. I had some myself last year, and after a couple of months in storage they started to rot off ! I'm not saying this will happen in your case, just something to be aware of. Oh yes, June or July.
    BTW, there's nothing to stop you harvesting them as you need them, they just might not be at their ultimate size.
    Cheers...freddy.

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Pat. Overwintered onions might not store too well - but why keep them for storing ? You can use your onions any time you like - as soon as they are a useful size.
    If your onions are a half reasonable size just use them as you go and if you have any left you can store them.