1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. November Photo Comp is now open with a great new theme.! Come and join in.
    Dismiss Notice

When to Move a Montana Clematis ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by HarryS, Nov 7, 2018.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +13,392
    I have a Clematis Mayleen Montana , just over 1 year old , in a container. I need to move it to a flower bed planting on the other side of the garden. I will cut it back to a manageable size , say 3 feet tall , lift as much as the rootball as possible . Then move it to a pre prepared hole and plant it deep . The weather for the next couple of weeks is mild and wet , with no low temps or frost forecast. Is now a good time to move a Montana ?
    TIA

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +10,011
    morning Harry
    I would move it now....job done, it will respond well, soil etc is nice n warm.
    Your preparations are ideal but I would add a fertiliser like fish blood n bone, chicken pellets etc
    Montana is, in my experience, very amenable to being moved...at a year old it will be a piece of cake to transplant :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +13,392
      Cheers @Verdun , I was hoping now would be OK . Just had a new fence fitted , so would like to get the Montanas topping it next year. I will fill the hole with a soil sand and MPC mix , and use a Gro-More slow release feed. Can't use blood fish and bone or Molly and Bella ( with us for a week ) will think I have buried sausages and dig it up :snorky::wagtail:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1