When to move bulbs outside

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Paul Blackburn, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I have several types of bulbs in pots in the greenhouse and I think I planted them in Sept/Oct and they are now coming on well so can I now move them outdoors.I also have two Fritillaria bulbs which were planted in a large pot at the same time as the other bulbs but this was left outside and never been taken in'Have just noticed both bulbs are starting to appear what is the best way to look after them and do they keep on coming back every year.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,362
    Depends on what the bulbs are, you did the right thing with the Fritillaries, totally hardy so best kept outside.
    They come back year after year but best grown in the ground after the first year.

3. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I have some Crocuses and a few Narcissi apologies if spelt wrong these are in pots in the greenhouse can I bring them out now.Have another variety but will have to see what it is.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,362
    Crocus and Narcissi are totally able to put up with whatever winter throws at them, so I'd get them out now if you are having a mild spell, they would have been forced slightly by putting them in the greenhouse for a while.

Just as a sideline my rellies in OZ have been known to put daff bulbs in the fridge for a few months to get them to flower properly, they will not flower well without a cold spell.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
      +52
      I moved all the pots containing the bulbs but when I just went down the garden to the shed I noticed that something had been digging in the pots not one of the dozen pots had been touched.Anyone have any ideas as to what has happened.I think it is squirrels unless it happened at night if so what could do it.Maybe a cat but have not seen any cats in the garden.Going to put them back in the greenhouse tonight

• Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
      +52