1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

When to plant Raspberry canes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    Because last year and this my raspberry bushes have produced hardly any fruit and There is a big empty space with no canes at all even though I have twice planted five canes.Next year I am going to move them to my cage which at present has cabbages planted there.So what would be the best time to buy the canes and to plant them.I will be getting Autumn varieties.

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,271
    @Paul Blackburn
    I would plant next spring, that gives you time to prepare the ground for them.
    Why did the other canes you plant die?

3. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,512
    When I first tried raspberries, they failed miserably, and I couldn't work out why. The next ones I bought came from Ashridge Trees on a recommendation from one of our GC friends. The five I bought from them were slow to start, but now I have almost a hedge of raspberries that are fruiting away merrily; I also have volunteer canes popping up all around the raspberry bed, so it seems that your success could be at least partly due to where you get them from.

I have bought quite a few fruit canes/shrubs and a plum tree from Ashridge, and would highly recommend them.

4. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,271
    I agree use a reputable supplier. I've used both Ashridge Trees and Chris Bowers over in Norfolk. You may pay a bit more but it's worth it. The only drawback is if you have a small order P&P can be excessive. Last year I got together with a work colleague to put together a reasonable order and split the P&P.

• Like Like x 2
    • Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
      +52
      I got the canes from my local garden center

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        Well I have got rid of my raspberries now but I always propagated them when I pruned them and stuck the pruned canes in the ground and by Spring they were growing well..

• Like Like x 1