1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

When to start seeds indoors in Glasgow

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by begoodian, Mar 19, 2013.

1. begoodian

begoodian Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I am based in Glasgow and have dabbled in recent years with seeds tied up in freezer bags on the windowsill. This year, I want to make a proper go of it, and wondered if anyone had an idea of the best time of year to start, bearing in mind my location. I am planning to sow plants rather than fruit n veg - hollyhocks, lupins, marigolds etc. I have a very sunny, south facing back porch which I intend to use as my greenhouse!

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,612
    Anytime now really if you are doing them indoors, provided that the porch isn't completely unheated - just make sure that you harden them off well before planting out (which I would leave until late May at the very earliest where you are);

I sowed marigolds, dahlias, geraniums and all sorts of other stuff on Saturday, all of which I have distributed on windowsills all around the house in lidded seed trays similar to this - I picked up two packs of three seed trays, three inserts, and three lids for £5.98 at my local garden centre, and will definitely be back for more. My marigolds and dahlias have already started to germinate.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,225
      I find that it is not a good idea to sow too early.
      If you do, the seedlings tend to get too soft and leggy while you wait for the weather to improve so that they can be planted outdoors.

I now sow as late as possible so that as soon as the seedlings reach a decent size, they csn go outdoors.

• begoodian

begoodian Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      Thanks everyone. The porch is completely unheated, so is very cold just now, but will be boiling whenever we get full sun. I guess just now it will be far too cold however and best avoided?

• landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
      Ratings:
      +915
      Beggodian, Welcome. I would wait a wee while until the temp lifts a bit.
      I know how cold it can get so hanging back may seem a bit of a grind, but they will soon catch up with all the other plants. You can always add a few plants from a garden centre if you want to really splash oot.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,612
        What part of Glasgow are you in, if you don't mind me asking? My cousin used to live near Anniesland Cross - spent many an 'unsober' weekend up there ;)

• begoodian

begoodian Gardener

Ratings:
        +4
        I'm in Rutherglen. South east side.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,612
        Ah, just of the M74 - I used to trek up and down there regularly. I moved away from Scotland 13-14 years ago now, and have been exiled down here in Surrey ever since.

Although not the highest place in Scotland, you are reasonably open to the elements there, so the advice to wait until things warm up a bit has to be about right :blue thumb:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,608
        Surrey FC? Your avatar says Middlesex. :scratch:

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,612
        Bit of both Sheal - not sure the full story, but the county of Middlesex no longer exists as such; there used to be a Middlesex County Council, but that was disbanded/dissolved and the majority of Middlesex was absorbed into Greater London, with the remainder being in Surrey - however, some of the postal towns still retain the Middlesex in their address (according to the post office).

I live in the Surrey part of Middlesex, although very close indeed to the Greater London bit of Middlesex which is a mile or so up the road from me. My local authority is Surrey County Council, yet either Surrey or Middlesex is used for the postal address.

Just to make the whole lot more confusing, Richmond Upon Thames is well within the Greater London boundaries, yet more often than not it is classed as Surrey (despite not having any relation to Surrey County Council); Twickenham (where I work) is within the borough of Richmond Upon Thames, yet it is classed as Middlesex (and never associated with Surrey).

And the final point of confusion at times is the name of the area I live in - whenever Ashford is mentioned, the immediate thought is of Ashford in Kent. The Ashford I live in is nestled between the northern end of the M3 (Sunbury) and Staines-Upon-Thames.

Confused?? Join the club :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,608
          I'm with you FC, just! I know the area to a certain extent. My aunt lived in West Drayton for many years and my dad was born in Richmond, but it was a whole lot different back then I'm told. :)

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,612
          Its changed in the short time that I have lived here - it seems to be constantly changing, especially Richmond

• Like Like x 1