When to transfer tomatoes into grow bags?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Loofah, May 12, 2008.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,865
    Hola All... I have a few plants each of Gardeners Delight and Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes, all growing well etc. What I don't know is when to transfer them into the grow bags! They're about 4" high at the mo...

2. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    advice differs dependant on if the growbags are in a greenhouse or outside.

this page has some basic info.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingtomatoes1.shtml

i've taken a risk and planted mine out all ready, they are in a unheated greenhouse but te 1st flowers are open and i needed them out of the way!!! I'll just keep an eye on the weather forecast and if a cold spell forecast i'll give them a bit of extra protection. otherwise, its fingers crossed time for me!!!

3. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Generaly you should be looking at four trusses high Loofah

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Wow Coub. If I'd waited for four trusses before putting in growbags I wouldn't have been able to move in the house. Like Glen, mine are in an unheated greenhouse in growbags with everything crossed.

5. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,865
    Smashin' dashin'. Thanks all:)

6. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I've had my Gardener's Delight outside for the last ten days. They go into a bed beside the GH wall and I lean some old window frames over them until they get too tall. For the past umpteen years my outdoor toms have gone out at the start of May, though I do protect them with glass until later in the month.
    (Just picked and eaten our first cucumber of the year - it was started indoors but when potted up sat in the heated propagator in the unheated GH for most of April)

7. Veg-and-flower-man

Veg-and-flower-man Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I go by the rule that when the first flowers emerge, they are ready to go in. I have just put mine in and they were about ten inches high...