When you dig up your spuds..........

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Tiarella, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    .........that are in containers, can you reuse the compost which looks really good???

2. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Tiarella,spuds are good for sorting out the soil.I mean,if you`d just aquired a bit of earth that had`nt yet been cultivated,spuds would be a good choice to get started.I know what you been about the soil looking and feeling great when you dig the spuds up but seeing as though it`s in pots, i myself wouldn`t reuse it alone to start a fresh batch of anything.Providing your spuds were healthy,if you have a spare bit of garden i would fork it into that,maybe adding some manure in the autumn.

3. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi tiarella

i have grow spuds in 40 litre pots and it seemed a shame to chuck the compost as the spuds were only in it for 3 months so i have planted turnips and peas in the pots now and they are all coming along smashing .

[​IMG]

4. papajo

papajo Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    I just got an information leaflet with my potato seeds ordered from Suttons. Its says that you can reuse the compost if you have grown earlies potatoes in it but to make sure that you add some feed to the old compost before using it.

5. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Thanks, folks, it looks like there are indeed various ways of reusing it then. Some winter veggies might be a good idea, and I'll add some fertiliser granules.