Where can I get limestone rocks that aren't too big?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by barrybridges, Mar 15, 2011.

1. barrybridges

barrybridges Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello - I wonder if anyone could help me?

I am looking for some limestone 'rockery rocks' to use as a border for a gravel path I'm putting in the garden, but everywhere I look I can only see limestone rocks available in a minimum size of 250mm which is much too big for what I want.

I can't seem to find ANY limestone rocks smaller than this - unless you go all the wall down to pebbles which are really small.

I'm looking ideally for limestone rocks (sharp) that are around 15 - 20 cm in length - any ideas? Or can larger rocks be easy broken into two pieces?

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Limestone isn't that hard, so a good visit with a sledge hammer would soon shrink them down. If you go down that route though, be sure to where safety spec or goggles, as you will inevitably get some airborne shards and you really don't want them in your eyes.

3. exlabman

exlabman Gardener

Paramedic
    Ratings:
    +17
    Well not sure on the legality but it is ploughing time in some fields.
    Often big stones and small rocks are dumped at the boarders between fields as they are undesirable. I've obtained some nice examples this way. It is eco friendly as no quarrying.
    If you know who owns the land I'd ask em but they want them out the fields.

Cheers

D