where do i start?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by jamie miller, Aug 5, 2011.

1. jamie miller

jamie miller Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    hi all new here and new to the greenhouse,

ok so i bought a 6x8 glass greenhouse that i have now put together and really happy with. the staging and shelving im still looking into anyone know where best to go for this or whats best?

my greenhouse came with a heater that looks like this.
    [​IMG]
    i have no clue how this works can someone explain?

ok so ive been doing alot of research on planting but dont seem to be getting anywhere at all :cry3:

all i want to know is what to plant in what months, im looking for both veg and flowers that i can sell to my family in the summer months such as lillys ect.

can i have flowers and veg plants under the same roof?
    i dont mind heating my greenhouse in the winter if i have to i have 1 auto vent and 3 manual windows.

sorry theres alot to answer in this post...

thanks in advance.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi & Welcome to the Forum Jamie.

I'm bumping this one as I only just found it was on moderation:thumbsup:

3. jamie miller

Ratings:
    +3
    i think my post has gone... i cant see it anyway :-(

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    That was odd Jamie, I had to approve that 3 times before it came off of moderation, thats not happened before.

5. jamie miller

Ratings:
    +3
    thanks alot ziggy, and thanks for the welcome :-)

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry it wasn't sorted sooner Jamie, don't know what the forum software was doing.

If you look at the top right hand side of the main board, you'll see you have a private message from me:thumbsup:

7. lazydog

lazydog Know nothing but willing to learn

waiting to win the Lotto
    Ratings:
    +641
    Back to your question Jamie the first thing you will find is you wish you had bought a bigger greenhouse,they never seem big enough for everything you want to do.
    The staging i would recommend removable and if you are any good at diy make your own.The reason i recommend removable is summer time you can kick it out or half of it depending on choice and grow from the floor and late winter/spring erect the staging to bring on seeds and plants.
    Another question for you are you going to grow tomato from raised beds in summer or growbags again i would recommend digging out at the side and good old fashioned muck and compost mixed with topsoil and replace this every year for tom's.As to what to grow at the moment you are between seasons for the next month or so salad crops are about the best option.
    If their is a Wilko near you grab as many seeds as you can for next year wilst they are still on offer I spent £19.00 and saved £37 still a few more to get but a good start for next season.
    Oh and by the way welcome!

8. jamie miller

Ratings:
    +3
    ok i have made the staging myself now all done. what im going to do is make a new thread with pics of greenhouse so everyone can see the set-up i have, the greenhouse is on concrete so there will be no digging for me :-) think ive done enough hard graft in the garden this year. thanks for the replys

9. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Hi Jamie - welcome.

You'll get lots of suggestions as what to grow so I'll confine myself to that 'heater', which looks suspiciously like the 'thing' Mr. F'smum has in the garage. Depending on how long/powerful it is, it might not be a 'heater' per se, more a frost protector - great for localised warmth and keeping the ambient temperature (in our garage) just a degree or so above freezing but probably not powerful enough if you want a 'heated' greenhouse.