Where should my veg be upto by now

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Clueless 1 v2, Jul 19, 2023.

1. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,769
    In my cheapo greenhouse, I've got tomatoes, aubergines, cucumbers, courgettes, peppers and swiss chard growing.

The cucumber plants have two tiny cucumbers coming.

I see one small green pepper, the tomatoes flowered but now look like the flowers have finished. Nothing on the courgettes or aubergines yet, although they look healthy, and the chard is just a few little leaves.

Most of the stuff is a first for me so I'm not sure what to expect, but I'd have expected the first courgettes before now.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    Is it all a little crowded, depending on how big the greenhouse is.
    Courgettes I would grow outside likewise swiss chard.
    Cucumber I would expect to be cutting by now, peppers and tomatoes should be forming fruit and on going flowering of both, they don't actually stop.
    I've never grown aubergines so can't comment but I think they should be flowering with fruits forming.

Is it all in pots and how big are the pots and are you feeding.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,957
      Depends on when you sowed and planted them. Courgettes won't do well inside a greenhouse and insects won't be able to find them so easily to pollinate, you'll have to do it by hand or move them outdoors if in pots.

Tomatoes need regular feeding with a high potash fertiliser once they flower to swell the fruit and encourage more flowers. What variety? Indeterminate bush varieties can flower and fruit once, determinate cordon types should keep forming more trusses up the main stem. Are you side shooting them and giving a gentle shake to help pollination?

Aubergines are always slow to get going they need good sun and space, they might be overcrowded.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited: Jul 19, 2023
      • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
        Ratings:
        +1,154
        Chard could be transplanted, but harvest what leaves you have. Now is a suitable time to resow chard for use in the Autumn, outside or in pots/modules to plant out when 4 leaves are showing.
        I would leave the greenhouse open until night temperatures drop to 8 deg C
        A photo would help?

• Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,769
        Thanks all.

Regarding it being crowded, that's a fair assessment. The only reason the courgettes are in there is because my dad's young dog sometimes visits, and she's crazy, and has a bizarre interest in potted plants. I keep meaning to bring them out into the garden.

I usually feed up once a week but I must confess I'm struggling to find motivation this year, so the wife has just been watering. I must get my act together and start looking after them properly.

• Informative Informative x 1