Where to source from

Discussion in 'Poly-Tunnel Gardening' started by Poly Hive, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +72
    Contemplating a tunnel but where to buy from for reasonable quality?

PH

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Tesco online. I bought mine 2 years ago and it is still going strong.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,647
    • Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +72
      Many thanks but really looking for something longer. Got some 25m to play with so thinking more along 15 x 3 if I can find one?

PH

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,698
      Hi Ph,

For a number of years I have used the cheaper tunnels known as "blowaways", they are called this as the are inadequate as supplied to stay in one place through our rough winters. A few of us here have them and each of us have developed our own methods to anchor them, then they make reasonable tunnels.

John mentioned scrungees topic, our webmaster Nathan also has a topic here and I too have one.

20ft x 10ft x 6ft (extended to 7ft)

After a few years playing about with them I came to the conclusion they had a few bad points not suited to me. Mainly that even after raising them above ground they where still lacking in height due to a central pathway taking up the majority of the tunnels height, putting pathways off centre meant stooping so it was not for me.

28ft x 18ft x 9ft

So I started looking at commercial tunnels and bought one 18ft x 28ft x 9ft, 5 hoops for £100 and started to buy the fittings I needed for it. I did a lot of research to facilitate that and I have an enormous tunnel now that I can stand up in in all parts wherever the pathways are, a great growing space with a super strong frame and construction, coupled with great access that fits the space I had. Overall cost was sub £400.

I would urge anyone considering a tunnel to first look at second hand commercial tunnels, especially if you are handy on the tools.

My new tunnel is on my polytunnel topic starting here http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/steves-polytunnels.33033/page-6#post-1022588

I've took pictures of the process of putting it up and added them above.

An example of a current ebay commercial tunnel sale...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/polytunne...754994?hash=item25be9d12f2:g:WSsAAOSw3YNXaOYM

£210 25m x 5.5m 82ft x 18ft

You could buy this frame, between yourself and a friend and each have a massive tunnel for pennies, just be prepared to work to dismantle, buy the fittings you need and put it up yourself.

The blowaway tunnels have a 25mm frame with a 1mm wall thickness, commercial tunnels are 50-60mm frame with a wall thickness of approx. 3mm.

I could probably advise further if required, let me know and happy tunnelling!

Steve...:)

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Poly Hive

Poly Hive Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +72
        Thanks (belatedly) for this Steve.

Due to lack of tow bar and trailer buying commercial is not going to be possible.

My proposed site is pretty sheltered so a lighter model will hopefully be quite suitable.

Any makes you can suggest as we can fit in 5m x 3 or 4m.

PH