Where's the cheapest place to get tomato size containers?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Hockeynut, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Hockeynut

Hockeynut Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    At the moment my biggest are growing in plenty of these.

But I was wondering if anyone knew anywhere online I could get some bigger ones for a good price. As I feel that those containers don't seem big enough to give them enough room.

Thanks,
    David

2. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
  3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :wink: If you have a Morrisons near you they were doing stacks of 3 black round ones for £1.. Give them a try..:thumb:

4. adamlewis

adamlewis Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i know you asked for online but Morrisons black cut flower buckets are usually sold of 8 (usually with a few more in there aswell) for 99p.

I have my toms in bottomless 20cm pots like you growing down into these morrisons black flower buckets. Remember to cut some drainage holes in the bottom though if you go this way.

5. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :dh::dh: Yes you are right adam, :dh: hadn't noticed I put a 3... :lollol:

6. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Hi, I have 6 of these , they are large enough to hold 3-4 tumbling toms each plus some Morning Glories. I have 2 that I plant up with bulbs in October and in the summer just plop the tomatoes etc on top of the dead leaves with some additional compost.

Bog standard Asda SmartPrice buckets will also do very well. Punch some holes in the bottom.

Life is much easier if you use very big pots. Smaller ones dry out quickly in this glorious barbeque climate and tomatoes are quite thirsty.

7. Hockeynut

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

There's a Morrison not too far away from me, I'll nip to Morrison after work today and see if they have what I'm after.

Selleri, I have at least 15 tomato plants... so that would get too costly for me. But I appreciate what you are saying about bigger is better. I'd probably run out of room too in my garden then.

At the mo, I have them in one of those mini-greenhouses, which is running out of space. I assume I can probably put the bigger tomato plants outside now anyway though? Presumably, preferably in a sheltered sunny spot?

It's my first year at gardening in general and growing my own!

Thanks,
    David

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Good luck with it all then David, hope Morrisons have some..!

9. Hockeynut

Ratings:
    +1
    Darn, I went to Morrisons on Friday after work, and they didn't have any. :(

10. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Not 'online' I know, but if you want something big and really cheap and cheerful, pop into your local Pound Shop if you have one. They sell those ripstop nylon, pop-up bags, (oestensibly for garden rubbish) but smaller than the 'normal' ones at about 30cm diameter and about 36 cm tall. I bought 10 of these, in some I grow potatoes, I've made holes in others and successfully grow strawberries. They're deep enough to grow things like carrots and I've even got some very healthy runner beans growing in another (being straight-sided, it's easy to insert canes too). Being ripstop nylon there's no splitting after making drainage holes, each bag takes about 30-40 ltrs of compost and, as an added bonus, not only are they green so can be hidden if your borders allow but you also get a couple of handles which means you can, if not lift, at least drag them around. Not bad for £1 each.

11. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Those black pots at Morrisons are fine but are very thin and easily broken so
    handle with care, they have no drain holes so I made some with a hot skewer
    and now have tomatoes happily growing in them. at 8 for 99p they are a good buy,
    grab some if you see any.

Pete

12. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Aldi do some sturdy black plastic buckets at under a pound they'll last for years.