Which Compact?

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by Freddy, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hiya folks:)
    Basically, I'm wondering which compact camera to get for my daughter for Christmas. I'm not looking for lots of features, just a simple point and shoot. 'Wants' are decent picture quality, a good zoom, good battery life and nothing too big, as she wants to be able to keep it in her handbag. Price, maybe £75- £150?

Cheers...Freddy

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    @Freddy it might be worth checking out this one:

Panasonic Lumix TZ35 from Argos for £129.99 and if you spend a min. of £100 between 29th Oct and 4th Nov (not far off!) you get a £10 voucher/gift card to spend at Argos between 29th Oct and 25th November.

Camera http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/tz35.htm?cmpid=COJUN&catalogId=10001&cjsurferid=878502506726177921&_$ja=tsid:11674|prd:1546795&storeId=10151&referredURL=http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/tz35.htm&referrer=COJUN

Voucher info http://www.argos.co.uk/static/ArgosPromo3/includeName/giftvoucher1.htm

Check camera prices (not just that one) here http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Panasonic/Panasonic-Compact-Cameras/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-TZ35

Using the IA (intelligent automatic) setting will make it a simple point and shoot whilst possibly investigating some of the other settings

tz35.jpg

This model does not have battery draining GPS unlike later models and I think it also has a Leica lens, again unlike some later Lumix TZ's.

• Like Like x 2
      Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,690
      Freddy I've had the Olympus XZ-10 for nearly a year now and am really pleased with it. Nine times out of ten it takes as good as photo as my (much more expensive) DSLR and it's dead easy to use. It has just about the fastest lens on any cheap compact which is the main reason I bought it, it means I hardly ever have to use the flash so can stick it close up to my grandkids without fear of blinding them (or them closing their eyes). It is just above your price range at £159 but worth considering.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997
        @JWK , I remembered you posting about that camera, but didn't mention it above as Freddy mentioned he wanted a "good zoom" and that Oly only has 5x, whilst the Lumix has a 20x zoom

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Scrungee

Ratings:
          +28,997
          The Canon Powershot Sx600 HS with 18x zoom for £129.99 from John Lewis is also worth having a look at http://www.johnlewis.com/store/cano...3_1414906450_6340900a77b866cbffb7a00f37569233

It's £10 cheaper at Amazon but they've got delivery as 1 to 2 months, and JL do a 2 year warranty as standard which for me would be a clincher

If you've got plenty of Tesco Clubcard vouchers it might be worth looking at what they have as cameras are included in the latest double up promotion For example that Canon above is out of stock in black, but Tesco Direct have them in red or white at £129.99 or £65's wort of Clubcard vouchers
          http://www.tesco.com/direct/canon-p...-wi-fi/666-1599.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=666-1599. There's also a £15 off code that I will add later on that would get it down to £114.99 or £57.50 in clubcard vouchers.

EDIT try TDXR-WRT to get £15 off using an existing account. If that doesn't work, open a new account and use TDX-7KPG to get £10 off. I got a new £150 phone for £12 two days ago using the £15 code and vouchers from one of our accounts and a laptop for £0.00 doing the same on their last double up earlier this year. There's also cashback of 1.5% from Quidco or 1.57% from Topcashback. N.B. If using codes and vouchers always enter the code first or you wont be able to use it once you've got the amount left to pay below the min. spend to use the code.

• Like Like x 2
            Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,248
            Freddy I have had a Nixon Coolpix S3100 for about 3 years now . Its towards the bottom end of your price range at £79 Argos . Its a really good easy to use compact , the current model is Nikon Coolpix S3600 . Small enough to slip into your pocket and you can also buy it in a range of colours on Amazon from black to neon pink !
            http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_coolpix_s3600_review/

• Like Like x 2
            • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +91,507
              Hi Freddy I would go for the Canon SX260 or the newest one SX280;)

• Like Like x 2
              • Scrungee

Ratings:
                +28,997
                I initially thought along the lines of an SX260, but there now appears so few sellers that it's no longer appears to be a £130 - £150 camera, and only appears to be sold by non mainstream suppliers for over £200, appearing to be a typical case of a good camera that drops to bargain prices when it's in the process of being replaced with a new model, but then prices soar when it becomes scarce.

I also refrained from mentioning it's successor, the SX280, because of all the reports of battery problems posted all over the net. Just start typing it in Google and see how many choices you get to check it out. I'm forever looking for a replacement for the small compact camera I always keep in my pocket which takes a battering, but they certainly put me off the SX280 as I just didn't want to risk it.

sx280.png

P.S. The SX270 might be worth checking out. EDIT or maybe not as loads of reports that has same battery problems.

• Like Like x 2
                • Disagree Disagree x 1
                  Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
                • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +91,507
                  Good morning Scrungee as you probably know ,I have the privilege of testing many cameras ,DSLR/Compacts and have used both the canon compacts mentioned above and found them excellent cameras,I never ever take a Google review seriously for many reason,and the only cameras I recommend are the ones I have first hand knowledge of:smile:

The sx280 HS is priced at £149 at PC world and I would still recommend it;)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Freddy

Retired - yay!
                    Ratings:
                    +12,517
                    Thanks for the input folks :)
                    As I expected, a variety of suggestions. Regarding the zoom aspect, I hadn't really given it a lot of thought, but I'm now thinking around 10x would be plenty, for most situations. I don't know if this changes things?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • JWK

Ratings:
                      +48,690
                      Have you come to a decision yet @Freddy ?

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
                      Ratings:
                      +12,517
                      Aye up John :)
                      Things have moved on a bit. I thought about splitting up the funds to get a compact and a printer, so say £75 for each. However, the daughter has now changed her mind :doh:
                      It turns out she's having some work done in her kitchen after Christmas, so she now wants an extractor hood for the cooker. Sorry for wasting everyone's time :sad:

• JWK

Ratings:
                      +48,690
                      No trouble Freddy, it was useful seeing other's recommendations.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
                      +28,997
                      If it's to replace an existing hood it might be worth checking out NEFF prices and trade in values. Currys and John Lewis are both participating and maybe others

http://www.neff.co.uk/Files/Neff/Gb/en/Promotions/Autumn Trade In/Neff AutumnTrade In Terms and Condtions.pdf
                      &
                      http://currys.cdn.dixons.com/css/themes/pdf/wk22-pdf-neff-trade-in-TC.pdf

This one seems good value, £89 less £70 trade in = £19 for a new cooker hood!

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/built-in-appliances/built-in-cooking/hoods-splashbacks/hoods/neff-d2615x0gb-integrated-cooker-hood-silver-11854673-pdt.html?awc=1599_1417605488_5541792e4a9d24b7057423c7eaedf416&srcid=369&xtor=AL-1&cmpid=aff~HotUKDeals~Communities & UGC&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=qqpxmxaq&istBid=t

• Freddy

Retired - yay!
                      Ratings:
                      +12,517
                      Thanks for that Scrunge :blue thumb:
                      She doesn't already have an extractor, and at this stage, not sure what type she wants. A lot will depend on whether or not she wants to put up extra wall cabinets.