which compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by compostee, Oct 30, 2006.

1. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I find it so frustrating to find a good compost, especially for sowing seeds in. All the various types i have tried need sieving (to get rid of bits of woody material that hasn't composted well, and the weeds, some contain, nettles and fat hen, others have chick weed. I personally dont like ji recipes, i find them too heavy. anyone out there got any suggestions. I always used to use shamrock, but i can't get it here in wales.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I use compost from Focus. They do large 120 litres bales - 2 for �£10. It used to be almost pure peat, but they have changed and it is a bit coarser now. But I am very happy with it and have never have to sieve it. I mix it with about one third sharp sand. In the mixing process any lumps fall apart very easily. The loose lumps are a result of it being compressed hard when packed, but that just means you get more compost for the same volume.

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Have never used Focus maybe give them a try when next need compost as they have now got a store near by.

In the past have used Murphys Multi Compost 75lt bags 3 for �£10 been very happy.

Guys at our local fuchsias society are vry happy with BQ compost as well it may be say as focus PeterS .

4. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I use Focus peat free compost. Good stuff.

5. sparkle

sparkle Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of a compost supplier that delivers? I don't have a car and I get fed-up with having to make endless trips to B&Q for 20L bags that cost �£4 each!

6. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Try one of these suppliers loads of info at Cumbria Wildlife. If all else fails you could try The Compost Centre who offer free delivery.

7. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Funny enough, i bought 240ltrs of focus multi purp compost and it seems good stuff, There are quite a few bits of woody material included but i can live with that.

8. TG

TG Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    For seed and growing on I tend to just buy cheapish multi-purpose compost then adjust the mix with sand for seed compost and Chempak potting base (or similar)for growing on.

Why you might ask? and it is this;

Suppliers do not have to put the NPK value on compost as they are obliged to do with fertilisers.

This means to synical me, that expensive composts do not necessarily have any more fertiliser in them than the cheap ones, particularly if they have been badly stored.

At least with my compost I have a rough idea of its fertiliser content.

See in here; http://tinyurl.com/y9coek

9. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Focus multipurpose does seem to have quite a few larger bits in, but for seedlings they can be sieved out, and as TG says sand or fine vermiculite added as desired. I've no idea of the fertiliser content of my own compost, how can you tell? Apart from the health of your plants, of course!

10. Jack by the hedge

Jack by the hedge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the same problem now.
    You might like to look around for material in blocks that has to be re-hydrated. Miracle-grow do one that's quite expensive, but I picked up a few bags that were being sold off quite cheaply at the end of the season in Tesco.
    I also tried a product from Poundland (two blocks for a pound) which has to be watered with a fertiliser because it has no nutrients added. The sweet Williams I potted on into it really loved to get their roots down into this fibrous mixture.

11. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Having little or no nutrients is a ggod idea for young plants as they have to grow a better root system to search out the nutrients they require.

12. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    My feeling is that you should not get too tied up with compost nutrition. Fertiliser can actually inhibit the germination of seed, and as Rich says it does no harm to treat 'em a bit rough at the start. The fertiliser in compost is usually quoted as lasting for about 6 weeks. Even if not consumed, it will be washed out with regular watering. So you must add fertiliser after this time, usually when watering. The plant progress will then be based on the fertiliser that you add. So get cheap compost, as long as its fine enough, and add your own fertiliser.

The same with repotting plants at the end of the season. There are good reasons for replacing the compost - such danger of disease or bugs. But lack of nutrition is not one of them - you just have to add it. I understand that one good reason for replacing compost after a couple of years is that the organic material starts to rot and gets finer and hampers the drainage. Your plant can then get waterlogged and die. For long term potted plants, such as small trees,you need less peat and more soil/rock based compost.

13. Nick the Grief

Nick the Grief Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Peter. I use a lot of John Innes compost & usually make it up myself but rather than using peat I buy the Multi-purpose composts from where ever & ignore the fertiliser thats in there.

If you want it a bit finer you can sieve it useing one of the plastic trays that Mushrooms come in - in fact they have loads of uses.

14. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,663
    I have just started using Coir(pronounced Koya)
    To early for any conclusion as yet.But it will save some peat bogs.

Try this site www.rbgkew.org.uk

15. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Just browsing old posts and was really surprised to find this one.
    I make my own compost for seed propogation, and have fantastic results year on year.
    The garden has 3 compost bins on the go. I use the plastic black ones with an access door at the base. 2 of the three are general composting for ground improvement, and the third (closest to the house) is used just for my seed compost. Content is strictly controlled (veg peelings, old used compost, grass mowings etc) and I also use an accelerator to aid decomposition.

When the compost is "ready" i transfer it to a lidded dustbin, and add a generous sprinkling of perlite to each batch ( cheap from Wilko's), so i always have a good stock.

Sure I get the occasional weed growth when raising seeds but not enough to be a problem.

So come on guys & gals, dont buy it, compost it !