which growhouse to choose?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by sadowska, May 5, 2011.

1. sadowska

sadowska Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I’m looking for a growhouse/mini greenhouse – mainly for raising seedlings and hardening off but also probably to grow peppers, tomatoes etc. Probably 4-6 feet wide and 2 feet deep, with the option to adapt the shelving so I can get tall plants in there (or one that’s 3 feet deep with shallower shelves – but I haven’t seen any like that!). Needs to have a base and a back really. Polycarb or acrylic glazing, not glass! I like the ones with lids as well as doors so the upper part is almost a cold frame. My wish list is probably not unique so hopefully some other readers will benefit from your collective wisdom!

I’ve seen a number of suitable looking growhouses between £100-200 which is what I want to spend, but then again I don’t want to throw good money after bad by getting one that looks terrible and falls apart. If these are just no good then on balance I’d prefer to buy a cheap blowaway for now and negotiate a larger budget in a few years!

The main contenders seem to be Gardman extra large growhouse, and Botanico Let’s Grow (they do a small and large one, thinking of getting both so I can have two separate environments for seedlings and for plants/hardening off!). The Haxnicks one is very small so not really considering it...

Does anyone have experience of the different brands available – which ones are more or less sturdy, long lasting, ok looking? Do you happen to know if they can be fitted with louvres and/or auto vents (otherwise I’ll just regret it!)

While I’m at it, it would be great to have some advice on position. The plan is to use the south facing fence – loads of sun until early evening. But I’m concerned it will overheat very easily. The other option is a west facing wall which is very sunny from early afternoon until late.

Gardman:
    Gardman Extra Large Wooden Growhouse)

Botanico:
    Botanico Let's Grow Wooden Mini Growhouse: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
    Botanico Let's Grow Wooden Growhouse: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      Not really answering your question, but I bought mine off eBay. 5 year old Eden aluminium greenhouse (which is a good, quality, brand name) about 30' x 10' cost me £400

But you need to be able to go and disassemble it, bring it home, and reassemble it. Only handy-man DIY skills involved, and (in my case) a people-0carrier for all the glass and aluminium bits/

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      I read this thread yesterday ,and my first thought and still is ,why don`t you build your own to your own specs. I suppose only DIY skills needed.
      I googled "cold frame plans " and got a couple of choices , Poly carb at any DIY outlet. Timber etc and can be made to be dis -assembled if you wish.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I've seen this one recommended on the forums - not tried it myself though!

User Pages Preview / Save

• Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +865
      For what it's worth, I agree with pamsdish that if you make your own it'll be exactly what you want, it won't cost you £110 (minimum) either.

From what I can see, the Gardman is of pretty simple construction so you wouldn't need to know any fancy joinery - just a few mortise and tenon joints, or even half-lap joints if you can't 'be doing' with chiselling out the mortises. You wouldn't even (necessarily) have to rebate in the polycarb., you could just drill and screw it.

• sadowska

sadowska Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      build your own

Unfortunately, I just wouldn't be able to make the time to build one to my own spec- OH already complains that we've enough DIY to do indoors at the weekend, while I'm out tackling the garden. It sounds a great idea but really no way it would be feasible for me.

I was hoping for some thoughts on the different options available to buy, if anyone has experience of them?

• sadowska

sadowska Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Other options I'm considering - does anyone have experience of Waltons or Palram greenhouses please?

I'm not sure I can go to see m/any of these at a garden centre as the ones locally don't tend to stock them. So it's a bit of a leap of faith ordering one without any clue to the quality!

4 x 2 Walton's Mini Greenhouse
      Palram 4ft x 2ft Lean-to greenhouse

• sadowska

sadowska Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      hang on, think the Waltons may be horticultural glass which counts it out unfortunately... interested to see the close up photos on the link too - is this supposed to show that it's well put together?? To me it looks full of knots, splintered wood and ill fitting joins! Am I being picky?!

• Joolz

Joolz Gardener

Ratings:
      +884
      How about something like this? BillyOh Wooden Greenhouse/Growhouse.

If it's to go onto a fence, or wall, it might be the kind of one you're after. And, as it's of a wooden construction, it should be fairly easy to assemble.

• Like Like x 1
      • sadowska

sadowska Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Thanks - unfortunately there's no suitable fence/wall or this type of thing would be perfect. I think I'm going for the Forest Garden/Larchlap mini greenhouse (sold various places) - although it's pretty worrying as B&Q features a couple of reviews saying it's poor quality. I've come to the conclusion that I have to risk it as there's nothing really good for my budget!

• joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,386
        we bought this palram one and the block poly glazing was impossible to put in with the side strips that came with it to seal :mad: we ended up using a lot of outdoor silicone n no nails so double check that what ever your going buy has easy glazing options :) less stress:D xhttp://www.ukgreenhousesales.co.uk/Greenhouses/Palram-Polycarbonate-Greenhouses/6x10-Palram-SILVERLINE-Greenhouse.htm

• greenhouseseller

greenhouseseller Apprentice Gardener

Retailer of greenhouses etc
        Ratings:
        +0
        Nison produce a small range of polycarb greenhouses and the buget one has 10 year guarantee whilst the top grade has 15 year guarantee so pick your budget for the size and type of greenhouse you want to purchase. If your only starting out there are many cheapy ones and even secondhand ones about, but I really should not say that :dbgrtmb: