Which tree to choose?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by KathrynMac, Mar 29, 2007.

1. KathrynMac

KathrynMac Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I want to plant a tree in my garden, perhaps one that has nice blooms that the bees like, yet attractive. My soil is clay in the front and mostly shaded it can be wet in winter and dry in summer. My alpines simply love the soil and so do my lavender I have 3 different types that are going very well.

I would like to have a tree that will fit into this space and not grow very big this is essential, 5 to 6 feet maximum. Does anyone have any suggestions for something that would do well?

The Secret Garden Project 2007
    Aberdeen, Scotland

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    How about the willow, Salix integra 'Hakuro Nishiki'?

It seems to fit the bill

click here

for info about it and some pics.

3. KathrynMac

KathrynMac Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have any more suggestions this one looks good but I wonder about it surviving the hard winters that Scotland can have. This is a good start. thank you so much.

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    OK ... maybe I am prejudiced, but the ONLY tree for a garden has to be a Japanese Maple. No flowers as a rule (although there are exceptions) but the exquisite shape, form and change of colour throughout the season is breathtaking [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Beautiful photo, W! :D I have a problem with acers in exposed areas, though - they suffer from wind-scorch - and don't thrive, at best - at worst, they die. I love them as plants, but they just don't work in exposed areas, in my experience.

How exposed is your area, KM? If it's sheltered, the cold isn't an issue, just the wind!!

6. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    My favorite trees are hamamellis - witch hazel - which flower at the beginning of the year, when everything else is sleeping. They have lovely fresh leaves, which turn like a rainbow in the autumn. They don't grow tall - but can bet wide!

I also love the amalanchier obelisk, which is long and slender, with white flowers in late spring. I grow a clematis up mine for more flowers in the summer.

Or a contorted hazel? In flower (catkin) now - the stems are attractive all year - though especially in the winter.

Or an apple? Kept pruned, it'll not get too big. Beautiful blossom for the bees, and the reward of fruit later in the year.

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Amelancia could fit your criteria - pretty spring flowers, light foliage, with good autumn colour. Can be grown as a small tree or a shrub.

8. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    Ah now .... the Witch Hazel
    Very slow growing and would be expensive to buy a large specimin

[​IMG]

The contorted hazel .... did you know that they actually grow nuts? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    I live on top of a hillside Dendy, so can have strong winds at times. I have retained the existing trees where possible, added a few more as shelter here and there, and put up appropriate fencing to filter the wind where possible
    Where there's a will there's a way [​IMG]

10. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    Yes, that would work, I can imagine! But you have to have the space to have those trees in the first place........ It certainly works for you - I've had a good look round your site! Fantastic stuff!

We had a corkscrew hazel for 14-15 years, and yes, loads of cobnuts! It can become pretty dense, though, needs lots of pruning to keep it open, ad let the leaves get plenty of air!

11. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Cratagus Pauls Scarlet is my favourite, Beautiful pink and white flowers in May and berries through the winter. It loves a good prune so can easily be kept in check if it grows too much.