1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Which would you move?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Oct 19, 2018.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I have a Pieris and Spirea Goldflame which are competing for the same space. I was going to move the Spirea in the Spring (living in Scotland evergreens tend to fair better being moved then rather than now coming into winter) but now thinking the Spirea would be less likely to object to being moved. It is really quite big being about 3 to 4 ft in diameter. I know it responds to being hard pruned which I have done in the spring before. Do you think I would be ok to hard prune it now to make the move easier or just wait and move the smaller Pieris in the Spring? I am trying to reduce spring jobs as we all know it is such a busy time while as now not so much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Yes silu, I always prune spireas hard back now....often moving them too. You might find some rooting of stems too so be aware....pot these up.
      Pieris moves well too, esp if small. Being the more choice plant I would consider this for the most suitable spot and move or not accordingly.
      I am also keen on getting as many garden jobs done now ....moving, pruning etc.....thus avoiding the hectic spring period. Plus, soil is warm and totally suitable for planting and transplanting :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,944
        This is possibly one of my favourite times of the gardening year-when you get to reorganise everything and multiply the plants :spinning:

• Like Like x 2
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Yes indeedy snorky :)
          Already I have "multiplied" several perennials. Dont forget too to swap such plants to extend your own varieties :)

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
          +8,083
          I moved the Physocarpusa few days ago @Verdun and discovered it had layered itself in 2 places. Happy days 2 new, be they small plants to find spots for.

• Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Excellent Silu :)
          Feedback is always great. Thanks :)