Whisky barrel wildlife pond

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by lizk, Apr 11, 2023.

1. lizk

lizk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi my kids came home recently with some frogspawn and I thought I would make a little pond for them from a whisky barrel, put in some oxygenating plants, etc maybe some duckweed and a lilypad or two, so I got a barrel today but it stinks of whisky . Will it kill the tadpoles?

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,441
    Not a good idea unless you line it with polythene or plastic sheeting.Tap water can kill tadpoles as it contains chlorine, this may dissipate if left for several days but pond or clean rainwater is best.
    Oxygenating plants are a must and the water should be changed (with the same type) after two weeks. Hope this helps.

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,287
    Hi and Welcome to the Forum,

Well they might die happy ! :) though no idea what concentration of the old whisky will leach out of the wood or how much it would affect the wildlife or plants ; expect it will take some time to soak / flush out the barrel with water.

Might be better to get a tempoary plastic container like one of these from The Range or elsewhere. Not as attractive but should be safe.

Just to add to @strongylodon comment, you can buy little bottles of chlorine removers that act almost instantly on tap water.
    https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/aquasafe-250ml

001774.jpg

4. lizk

lizk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you i wasn't planning on using tapwater. Is the plastic sheeting specific to it smelling of whisky or for barrels generally? It is completely watertight

5. lizk

lizk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I might have to get one of those tuff tubs instead. I wasnt sure if the whisky smell is just par for the course. Other people seem to have made ponds from half barrels but maybe they werent quite the genuine article?

6. luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
    Ratings:
    +6,899
    I've got a plastic half whisky barrel mini pond. I set it up around 2 and 1/2 years ago and it seems to be doing ok. It has plants and snails and the birds like it to drink from.

• Like Like x 1
    • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
      Ratings:
      +47,555
      Here's a video on how to make a barrel pond.

• lizk

lizk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      I thought I would update on this :) I ended up using a kids outdoor water table to make a small shallow pond with varied levels (and a little slide for the tadpoles lol) The handful of plants i took from the wild established - the duckweed I bought from ebay didn't - and the numerous tadpoles (when they hatched) looked really happy UNTIL i noticed suddenly there were barely any left - and no dead ones that I could see. Then i found THIS and another one - diving beetle larvae - and they had been eating my poor tadpoles. Thankfully I still have about 8 left which is more than can be said for the pond where they came from- which should have had thousands - but we could not see a single tadpole - presumably all eaten by aforementionned diving beetle larvae....

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • lizk

lizk Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +2
        as for the stinky whisky barrel...i left some water and pond plants in it thinking I would maybe use it next year when it's less stinky...but the water has gone rather slimy.....

• Informative Informative x 1