white fly

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by suep, Oct 29, 2005.

1. suep

suep Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello i'm new to this site, please could someone tell me how to get rid of white fly, we seem to have them on all our plants and trees ( trees are still young 2-3yrs old)

Thanks
    Sue

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry Sue, whilst there is a lorra whitefly about still, thanks to the warm weather - I'm not sure there is a lot you can do about it now except spray with an insectacide if its damaging your plants, bearing in mind that a lot will soon be dormant and lose their leaves - just ensure that you remove and burn as much as you can. The cold winter forecast may irradicate a lot - then consider introducing nematodes when the temperature is warm enough.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    Nematodes Fran? :confused:

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes nematodes - there's one specific to whitefly (unless my memory has a gremlin) - but you can't use them until the temperature is 5c or above - so late spring.

I remember I used them one early summer, when my outdoor patio fuchsias were badly hit and I didn't want to use chemicals. Or have my little gray cells failed again :(

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    Well I could be wrong, but I thought the nematodes were for slugs and a different one for vineweevil. I think its a small wasp thats used against white fly, Encarsia.

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Encarsia - I know for greenhouses - but I was certain there was a nematode for white fly.

My apologies to Suep if my advise was wrong - as no doubt it was.

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
  8. redfour

redfour Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been told that whitefly themselves do not do any damage to plants, however the honeydew that they leave invites problems, notably sooty mildew - a black/grey substance, and from this further diseases and problems emanate.

The best solution I've come across is garlic solution! You can buy it at a good garden centre or even make it yourself. It doesn't kill the whitefly, it's totally organic - so no nasty toxins getting into the food chain. The whitefly seem to have an aversion to the smell of this stuff, surprise, surprise, and they go off and infest somebody else's garden.

Regards
    Phil

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Heloo, redfour - welcome to GC. [​IMG]
    Great to have you on board and starting off with a suggestion, no less! Great stuff!