1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

White Grape Juice

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by Scrungee, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I make a lot of 'Easy White' quick fermenting and quick maturing juice wine, fermented out and ready to drink in a couple of weeks, typically using 1L of carton White Grape Juice + 1L of another juice such as Apple Juice.

Over the past few years every supermarket, etc. source of WGJ has been discontinued, with only the exception of Waitrose. I bought some instore when on special offer, then some time ago I made a huge purchase of their WGJ using a couple of Orcado codes to get around 60% off, and another when my daughter got a decent 'first shop' code plus used a way of getting another £5 off.

As I'm down to my last 7 cartons, went into my local waitrose today and it was no longer stocked :yikes:. Phoned their CS and they only found about one store in each of a few adjoining counties that still stock it, so it could well be on the way to being completely discontinued.

Bit the bullet and ordered £80's worth of cartons from Ocado with free delivery and 25% off code (sod driving around searching for full price stock). With my remaining 75% off quality kits, and stored blackberry juice plus anticipated pickings this year I'll have enough ingredients for 1,200 bottles which should keep me going for a while.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Quick, plant a grape vine Scrunge :yikes:

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,201
      Sounds good , but would stick to the cartons.

Growing you own grape vine is just fodder for the wasps and a real menace to anyone in their way as I found out last year; ended up cutting down my 3 year old Boskoop Glory, just too risky with young kids nearby.

Does make you wonder how the commercial crops don't get decimated by the wasps or are there not that many in the wild to make any big effect on a large vineyard ?

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Monty hangs a fake wasp nest in his greenhouse, other wasps won't go near it :yikes:

Just bin to Morrisons, they didn't have any red grape juice other than the reduced sugar one with sweeteners in it :th scifD36:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,706
        I've never come across a wasp problem with grapes, i think Monty just started the "Trend", which will be quoted from here to eternity.:biggrin:

Just wondering, why are grape vines dangerous to children?

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          :snorky: Seen it long before he got hold of it, just the only bloke I know that said it works :biggrin:

Full of sugar :nonofinger:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,706
          How do you mean it works???
          Do you mean it occasionally happens?

Oh come on now, kids and sugar, it's fruit, and one of your 26 a day.:biggrin: