White mold on berries-or whiteflies?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Katri-Ann Malina, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Katri-Ann Malina

Katri-Ann Malina Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello-
    I am posting from Budapest, Hungary- as we just moved here from the UK and my Hungarian is even worse than my gardening skills.

So, we finally have a garden, and I planted a few berry plants in planters (as we rent our new place, I didnt want to plant plants in the actual ground). Recently I have noticed a white moldy type of fluff appearing on the stems (mainly) and leaves of my strawberry and blueberry plants. The varieties are Fragaria x Ananassa for strawberries and Goldtraube and Poppins for blueberries. I have pruned the affected leaves and stems, but the mold keeps returning.

What am I doing wrong? The garden is SW facing, so I can have the fruit in the sun or half sun, and I have tried both ways. Its fairly hot here- over 30 degress most days, and very very sunny, which is why I tend to water the plants lots.

Am I over-watering them? How do I know how much to water? Help please- so pleased to have berry plants for my little baby daughter finally, and want to keep them healthy!

Many thanks!

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,826
    Hallo Katri-Ann Malina,
    :sign0016: to Gardeners Corner. Botrytis springs to mind. Are they getting enough fresh air? Are they being too well watered- too often?
    A picture of the white stuff would help, any chance?
    Jenny namaste

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Katri-Ann Malina

Katri-Ann Malina Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi Jenny- thank you for the warm welcome and your quick reply! So , attached a few pics of what it looks like. I also noticed that there are little white flea-like creatures that seem to be jumping off the plants quite fast, and on a first google attempt think it may be whiteflies? (see first picture- are these white balls on the ground their egs?)

What can I do about these animals, I read that destroying plants doesnt help much as they (the fles!) tend to return anyway on new plants? They are now also onto my mint, and basil- I guess the garden is small and its easy for them to jump from one plant to another. I am reluctant to use chemicals in my little garden, are there any more nature-based remedies for these unwanted guests?

thanks again,

Attached Files:

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,826
      Please, can any of the kind gardeners here :help:? This lady has a problem which looks infectious and I really don't know what to suggest.
      Can you assist please @Kristen?
      many thanks,
      Jenny

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,886
      Welcome to GC Katri-Ann. I can't be certain but they look like Woolly aphids to me but most aphids can be destroyed by spraying with soapy water. :)

• Agree Agree x 1