White mold on houseplant compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Fran, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I received the attached from a new member in respect of three houseplants he's bought.

"The soil that the plants are in is turning white-furry like and it's hardening.. I have only had the plants for three weeks.. I bought them from a super market.I have been careful not to over water them.
    Could you give me any advise on what the problem may be and do you know how I prevent this in the future. thank you"

I think from the description that this is a mold, common on peat rich compost - and I would remove the top layer, and replace something like vermiculite. But I am no expert on house plants. So can anyone else provide an answer to this for Richard.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    I think your right Fran, if the top of the compost is allowed to dry out between waterings it tends not to happen.
    Could try watering from the bottom for a while.
    Personally I dont like top dressings on pots, I know it makes them look nice for exibitors ect. but it makes it very difficult to tell how wet a pot is.

[ 12. August 2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: pete2255 ]

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] I think you are right fran, how about if your friend put some of the little clay aggregate balls, Hydroleca, on the top of the compost, it's very good for houseplants, & might stop the top drying out or allowing the mold to grow. [​IMG]

[ 17. August 2005, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

4. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Peat and compost, is not what it used to be...I get this all the time now, specially on plants I keep in greenhouse all summer...I scrape it off every so often and add Perlite mixed with a bit of silver sand to top.

Ladybird

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all your responses and I hope the new member saw them.