White spots on red maple leavesI

Discussion in 'Trees' started by DonnaG123, Aug 19, 2018.

1. DonnaG123

DonnaG123 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am new to the forum (and gardening!) and after some advice for my approx 30ft red maple tree.

Unsightly white spots are all over the leaves and also on the tree trunk. See photo below.
    Could anyone tell me what they are? Is it powdery mildew?
    And also how to treat please?

Also could anyone tell me what my tree is called please? Is it a Crimson King?
    I have lived in the property for ten years and in that time it’s gone from around 10ft to 30ft - will it grow anymore?
    Sorry for all the questions!

upload_2018-8-19_18-0-18.jpeg 17114B5E-ACF6-4E05-8CBB-E39F3F9DC45F.jpeg 6E4DA3E1-1D02-4750-80D3-7BCD21770D91.jpeg

2. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,478
    Welcome to the forum! I know someone will be along soon with great advice.

Wish I could help but I'm a perrenial newbie. Hang in. Help is coming :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Looks like scale to me DonnaG123.:) For such a large tree I think treating it will be difficult.

Difficult to say, for me anyway, exactly what variety you have. Not sure anyone can do for sure from your photos :noidea:. Yes, it is likely to grow bigger

There are one or two on the forum who grow acers to a very high standard...Doghouse Riley, for one. Maybe he can offer a solution:)

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      Welcome to the forum @DonnaG123 [​IMG]
      Here is a close up picture of scale insects, which this may be....however I think there is a very good chance that the problem with your tree (which we really need to see closer up) could be powdery mildew, which would be the result of all this humid weather we are having.
      If so, it may show some black spots also developing, and the tree won`t really come to much harm - with a bit of luck it will be the latter!
      Various types of scale insects seem to be having a field day this year - fingers crossed it isn`t that!! What is happening underneath the leaves?
      Afraid I wouldn`t be able to id exactly which variety you have there :thinking:

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      upload_2018-8-21_17-0-45.jpeg Here is a picture of powdery mildew.